Friday, December 10, 2010

Oh, My Tannenbaum

As you may recall, we had Thanksgiving at home this year and I had thought how wonderful it would be to put up our tree on Thanksgiving after the meal, and we could decorate it as a family. Well, the tree had a section that wouldn't light up and it kind of took all the fun out of it. I knew I was going to have to buy some lights and string them into that section.

So the tree sat that way for a week. Or more.

It was pretty pathetic. And I just couldn't get my tree-decorating jive going and I didn't know what the matter was. I wanted a change. I wanted different. But that would require a lot of work that I wasn't sure I was willing to give to this particular situation.

But the energy finally came. And the plan took shape. And I enlisted the muscles in the family to move the stereo cabinet and a desk and the piano.

We shook it up, Baby!


And on Monday I finally had it all rearranged, cleaned, organized and ready for The Family Tree Decorating. What I love about our main tree is that it is full of ALL our ornaments; the fancy glass balls from Macy's (department store, not grocery store), the felt and ribbon creations by 3 and 4 year old boys, my straw ornaments from Panama, five "Baby's First Christmas" ornaments, Grandmother ornaments, and even some styrofoam creations and some shrinky-dinks I made as a child in the 1960's. It is all on there

And Doug loves to contribute the popcorn strands.


So he and Abbie took care of that, sort of as an afterthought, but it still worked.



I love our tree. Every year I love our tree all over again. It is full of life (except it is artificial) and living and memories and stories.


It is a tree of history and adventures and happy times. I love the predictability of this tree. Every year it goes up differently, but it is always the same.

This tree says, to me, that even while life changes and some things get broken and some things don't work like they used to and some things are getting old and worn, my life is still beautiful and it is so, so full of stories. Really good stories.

And I love reflecting on that.


2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I love the analogy of our trees to our lives. I am relating to the old and worn out parts right now! LOL! Great job, Shaun and company!

Dorothy said...

OH MY, I had some catching up to do after you told me you had been blogging again!

Your tree almost makes me want to go back to my old ornaments. For you readers of this blog, Shauna decorates my tree on Thanksgiving weekend as my birthday gift. I think she is worried that I won't want to bother decorating if she doesn't do it. So she does mine and hers!!

A couple of years ago I suggested we do something different so we went shopping at the craft stores on Black Friday! I never shop Black Friday but we went at night and shopped fast and did our thing and now I call it my "Babylon Tree". --A long story behind that.

Nice to see your blog again!
XOXOXO MOM