Friday, December 3, 2010

My Gratitude

In the Fall of 2004 some really hard things were going on.
It was easy for me to feel very sad and discouraged
and I didn't want to feel that way.
So I decided to focus on the good things that were going on.

I've always tried to have a focus on gratitude
and have used a variety of methods with myself and family.
In 2004 I decided that making a Gratitude Journal
that started on Thanksgiving day
and went to Christmas Day
would be a really great way to experience the Holiday Season.


Every Fall, since that time, I've made a Gratitude Journal.
And every night I write about at least 5 things
that I am grateful for that day.
These journals not only record my gratitude,
but they are also a window into my life during the holidays.

This is easily one of my most favorite traditions.
Every year I look forward to these 4+ weeks of
focused gratitude as I prepare to celebrate
the birth of Christ.


1 comment:

velinda said...

I have never been a journaler. I contend journalers are born, not made. I never encouraged journaling to my children, but some are, and some are not journalers. I have made some attempts, but the truth is I cannot abide looking back and reading anything I wrote. Ever. Except. Except for the gratitude journal you gave me. It covers a very tough year, but by writing entirely in gratitudes, I was able to tell the story in such a way that I can actually go back and read it, and enjoy it. So, thanks for the memories, my gratitude-conscious friend.