It has been something of a long winter.
Not necessarily as cold as we usually have.
But lots and lots of snow.
We've even had some warm-ish spots
when the temperature was in the 20's.
Man, it felt like a heat wave.
But then real winter life came back:

(That says the current temperature is -8ยบ)
(I love weather.com)
So through all of this cold and snow I've been a maniac
about keeping water running from a faucet
day and night.In 2007 the city water to our house froze
on January 17 and didn't thaw until the middle of April,
right before we left for Hawaii.
Well, in this kind of weather it doesn't take long
for the water to freeze if it is standing still.
Even in the day.
And on Saturday, February 5, it did.
Even though we were using our water
the stream wasn't strong enough to make up for how cold it was.
And that stream of water got slower and thinner and finally
stopped.
You could hear my wails of anguish.
I won't go into all the details but they involved
the city coming and trying to thaw the meter
and friends and neighbors setting up a heat tent
and trying to heat up the ground and the meter and pipe.
But it was just too cold.
And we were just out of luck.
And water.
So Doug bought some new, clean hoses and we
hooked up with our neighbor's outside spigot to ours
and that brought water into our house.
At least we could shower and flush and wash dishes and clothes.
But now we have to be EVER vigilant because
the hose runs outside and can freeze even faster if we aren't careful.
So then Doug and I took a trip to San Francisco
(he for a dental class, me for the fun)
and we had a GREAT time.
We left early Thursday and got home late Sunday.
And on Monday it was Valentine's Day
and Doug brought me my 27th bouquet of daisies.
Life was good.
We didn't have a strong water pressure, but we had water.
I had been to the sand and the sea and was feeling centered.
I had another beautiful bouquet of daisies.
So on Tuesday I decided to walk outside because the sun was shining
and the sky was blue and the temperature was in the 20's again.
And on my way out I noticed some frozen water coming from under the garage door
and wondered what that was about?
It wasn't warm enough for water to be melting and running.
Upon closer investigation and inspection I discovered
a really horrifying thing:
Water from the spigot had been leaking into the crawl space under our house
and had filled it up and was running out
down the side of the garage and down the driveway.
Only it was so cold it was freezing by the time it got to the garage door.
Can we just pause here so that you can grasp what this means?
The crawl space is the length and breadth of our house
and about 3 feet high.
Fortunately, the entrance to the crawl space is at about 2 feet
so at that point the water was running out.
Long story short:
We had to shut the water from the hoses off.
(No water coming into the house now.)
We had to borrow a pump and start pumping the water out of the crawl space.
(In the above picture you can see where floor to the garage is,
up where the top cord is going. That is how high the water was)
After 24 hours, it wasn't enough.
I went a bought a pump so two could be working at a time.
I held my camera down and snapped some pictures just to see
what was going on down there
and saw the water line on the heat ducts under the house
(that's another story).
So while the pumps were draining under the house
so that the plumber could go down there and fix things
we lived on bottled water and paper goods
and used our 7 gallon water containers for flushing.
And gracious neighbors offered bathrooms for showers
(THANK YOU).
On Friday Randy, the plumber, came
and crawled under the house and repaired the leaking spigot
and got us back to our new normal
and I've never been so grateful for hose water before!
(Anybody know of any dental practices for sale NOT AROUND HERE?)




2 comments:
Oh Shaun! That is one horrendous story! I am so sorry you had to go through all of this. When I read things like this I am so thankful to be in the Bay Area where we whine if it gets in the 40s. I'm glad you had a nice visit out here. Come back, we have dentists here!
haha! Bonnie, that's what I'm trying to convince Doug about!!
Post a Comment