Thursday, March 22, 2012

Back Me Up Here


I've been pretty much flat on my back for 3 days now. This is day 4. I thought today I would be all better. But after doing a few things (like taking a shower) I had to painfully crawl back into my bed.

My back has been feeling not as strong for the past while. Age and a few other issues are giving me fits. So last Friday when I was standing in a position for just a little too long I felt a little spasm. And it just got worse over the next few days. And by Monday I basically couldn't do much of anything.

This morning, while lying on my bed, Miss Abbie and I came up with a new way to entertain me. And her. (She's bored with my situation because I can't do anything and it's Spring Break and most of her friends are gone.)

We tossed Miracle Balls up to the ceiling and caught them. (This view is looking up from my prone position on my bed.)

We counted how many times we could toss and catch without dropping the ball.

It's actually harder than you might think...

I've also been playing a game on my phone that Abbie introduced me to yesterday: Unblock Me

The point of the game is to move the red block to the opening on the right. The vertical blocks can only move vertically, and the horizontal can only move...horizontally.

Generally, I'm not very good with games like this: I don't have the patience for them. I've always felt like my mind doesn't do well with the abstract thinking this kind of game requires. I don't like things getting in the way of my progress.

But as I've been lying here in bed I've had a lot of time to think and to play Unblock Me. I'm getting better at the game, I can "see" the solution now and am getting sort of intuitive about how to solve the problem. And I'm thinking that like everything else in life, the more you practice something the better you get.

So I think I need to practice carrying my Life Load better. I think I need to be more intuitive about what I can and cannot do. I think I need to strengthen my physical-mental-spiritual-emotional muscles so that the load never gets too heavy for me to carry. I need to be at peace with the way the blocks are and only move the horizontal blocks horizontally and the vertical blocks vertically, so that I can move forward.

And because this is Life, and this is the way Life works, the more I practice at this the better I'll get.

In the meantime, if you need me I'm lying on my bed. Still.

POST EDIT:

I'm on my 100th game now and I can say with much certainty that a) the solutions are always easier than I think, and b) I tend to over think the solution.

Gee. Ya think?




1 comment:

velinda said...

Are you kidding me? I am SO sorry about this-- unless it is secretly nice to get off the merry-go-round for a few days--naw, never mind, we always THINK we want off, until we get the chance and see what the price is. It was GREAT to see you, sorry for the deluge. At first I thought maybe you went skiing. This is from Standing? Wowsers.