Friday, November 5, 2010

The Yin and Yang of My Life

Last Saturday night I spent a bit of time working with felt and ribbon and pinking shears and my glue gun.

Ahhh...my glue gun. May I pause right here to say a few words about my glue gun?

My Mom sent me this glue gun when I was living in a level of poverty as the wife of a dental student with two little boys. I remember her telling me that she didn't know what I'd use it for, but everyone was getting them and here's one for me.

Isn't that funny? As it turns out, I have used this thing so often through the years. But it has been a pretty long time since I've plugged it in and heated it up and oh boy! The memories that took over me when I smelled that hot-melting-glue-smell! It was great. I was pretty happy to have that 'ol glue gun in my hands again.

But that's not the point of this post.

I was making an advent calendar similar to the one that my children loved and which I made at a Relief Society meeting when I was a young(er) mother with two little boys.

I made this 2010 advent calendar for a display. You see, as the new Relief Society president in my ward I am bringing back the monthly "homemaking" meetings (which we now call Relief Society activities, but I like the word "homemaking") and also the great Super-Saturday-make-and-take day. We have been scrambling to find and decide on projects to offer and then make up examples, and the calendar was one of my assignments.

And it turned out cute and darling and all sorts of fun.

I was also working on a lesson which I gave the next day in Relief Society. I've been doing a lot of reading and studying and praying about this subject.

It is sad that this is something we need to deal with. I have so much I could say about this, but now isn't the time.

I had some kooky moments that night as I was making the ever-so-cute advent calendar while I was thinking and pondering about my lesson on pornography. I thought, "What IS this world we live in?? Why can't I just make cute felt Christmas things? Why does there have to be this crazy dark side going on?"

So those are sort of the defining polars for me right now. Lots of fun stuff. Some not-so-fun-and-actually-kind-of-sad stuff.

But here is a happy thing:

Relief Society grapes! Don't you love it? You probably need to be an LDS woman of a certain age to understand these. One of my counselors knows that I want a cluster of the grapes that EVERY woman made in the 60's? 70's? I'm not even sure when they were made. I just know my Mom had purple ones and they were pretty cool. This is actually a small cluster to hang on a Christmas tree that one of my counselors found at a store and bought for me! It will do until I can find one of the large clusters. The reason I want one of these (besides the fact that they are just plain cool) is because it represents, to me, the evolution of LDS women and of the Relief Society program. Both are stronger. And LDS women are so much more than the crafts they make. At least they can be.

But you know, the felt crafts are pretty dang cute...


1 comment:

velinda said...

that IS a little surreal. Crafting while contemplating a lesson on pornography! But it's great that you're doing real things in a real world, and both are needed. The grapes are great! Hope your lesson went well. Good for you to bring back homemaking meetings. I learned so much over the years from those meetings, and being mentored by wise women a few years (to a few decades) further along from me along the trail. I think it's a good thing.