Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'm Still Giving Thanks For That Day

I would like to get this post written for my own family history.
Any possible entertainment anyone else gets from reading this
is just plain luck.

I would also like to preface this post by saying that
the only way I was able to get through Thanksgiving Day
and all of the cookery
and planning of a funeral
and goofing around with my family
was with the help of this:

What used to be the beverage-of-choice
when we had the 2+ hour drive home at night
(from The Land of Many Stores and Much Family)
used only to keep me awake and alert to deer
has now become a drink of choice to get me through
Manyaday.
(I'm becoming addicted to Pepsi now that I'm a Relief Society president.)
(I think there could be something wrong with that.)

***********************************

We have been going to my Mom's house for Thanksgiving for the past ?? (many) years since she moved to Utah after my Dad died. It is a wonderful tradition as we go over the river (really) and through the woods (really) to Grandmother's house. This year my brother came out from DC, and my sister was going to be coming from LA (but ended up not being able to come). I also have a brother who lives near Mom.

It worked out well that my brothers would be at Mom's because we weren't able to go out this year because of work schedules. So instead we had Fred make the trek this way and we had Thanksgiving at home and it was great! I love it when all my little family is together at home.

Abbie is at the age when she is ready and willing to help with the cooking and that was pretty fun. So we chopped


and sautéed, and boiled


and air dried and did all sorts of cooking.


I cooked the turkey in two dutch ovens (one inverted on the other for a lid) in the oven and that bird was so tender it's wings just flopped out and fell off.


I opted to simplify this year and did not pull out and use our china (gasp). And it was O.K.


The rolls were grand.


The pies were great. (I over-baked the pecan...)

It was a fine feast.


Everyone was in good spirits


and we talked and laughed while we ate


and ate, and ate.


And we got the tree out and set up, only to discover that a section of lights wasn't working. (No matter what we tried, nothing worked. So it stayed that way for a week until I could string some new lights in it.)

And fake music was played.


And real music was played.

And then? Then?

I'll try to tell you about that tomorrow :)


4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I love this. I am sorry though you didn't get to be with your sweet Mom! I do adore her, she is so nice to me!

Can't wait for part 2!

Jen said...

Well, I am pretty sure that drinking Pepsi is breaking the Word of Wisdom-just sayin'.

In all seriousness, I love you. I love your family. I love your cooking.

When am I ever going to see you again?

Janelle said...

the Land of Many Stores. haha. i love it! i think i'm gonna start calling it that.

velinda said...

Well, my drug of choice is either no-doze (for a long drive) or mt.dew (for a shorter drive, when I want to be able to go to sleep when I get there). But the dew is twice the hit as a coke, and worth about half a no-doze. And yes, I've had a bishop caution me about my consumption. But I have a thing about bringing 'em back alive. My one car accident was when I didn't have anything in the car to take, not even sunflower seeds. I was less than a mile from the gas station I planned to load up at when . . .zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (car totaled).

On another note, your TG sounds fabulous, so great to have everyone there, yes? Yes! Hope you got to see your D.C. bro before he returned east.