Sunday, April 17, 2011

Young At Heart

After 20 years of longing to be back
I'm in Richmond, Virginia right now.

And what am I going to talk about?
What meaningful, significant story am I going to tell?
What experience do I want to share?

Neil Young is playing in this town tonight.
And I won't be in the audience.

Why's that?
Well, for one thing, I don't do concerts anymore.
For another thing, I don't do concerts anymore on Sunday
(there is a high school story there)
(it involved Neil Young. And David Crosby, Graham Nash and Stephen Stills)
(it was called "A Day on the Green" 1974-look it up)
(I made the cover of Rolling Stone-with the rest of the crowd).
And for the last thing, I won't pay $200.00+ for a ticket.

But it does move my soul to know that Neil Young will be
in the same town as I'm in, for a few hours.

Yes. That is how deeply he impacted me in my young adult life.
Oh, to live on Sugar Mountain–


4 comments:

velinda said...

There are so many WOWs in this, I don't even know where to start. WOW that you're in Virginia(!!!!!!)
There's a story there. Wow that the Universe brought Shauna Ogden and Neil Young to the same place, the same day, the same time, sharing the same air, the same view, the same . . . (who knows what?) TripleAmazingAstronomical WOW. And WOW that you're not in all those places anymore, that would have put you in the audience of that concert. Isn't time a wild thing? So crazy. Wondering the Cosmic significance of all of this . . .

velinda said...

p.s. Not even on purpose I stumbled across photos on the internet of Neil Young then and now. Kinda Scary. I'm thinkin' it's a good thing you didn't see him . . .

p.p.s. this is like having a very slow conversation with you. Fun in its own way, but not as satisfying as the real deal. What to do, what to do?

Shaun at Oak Den said...

Well, Velinda, Neil Young was never a real looker. Not at all. That just goes to show you how deep I am--I loved him for who he IS not how he LOOKS. hahaha!!

Yep. Not a looker at all. But oh, how his music moved me. It still can.

velinda said...

true it is about his looks-- then and now. However, it's not so much the lookin' part, it's the AGING part. When you're in the groove with the ol'sounds, it puts you back in that time and space--it just makes you feel young again. Seeing the geriatric version of the musician is a slap in the face as to how old WE are!!!! And THAT'S the real scary part of the deal.