We have been growing an icicle from our front porch for about a month now.
We warmed up in January to the 20's for a few days and it was enough to start the snow a-melting from the roof. We knocked off all the other icicles, but left this one because it is so curious. It had little prongs at the end:
We've had warmer days and then it gets shiver-cold again and then it warms up and then gets cold. By warmer, you do understand I mean temperatures in the 20's, right? And the shiver-cold thing is when we hover around 0* or go lower than zero. Much. Lower.
And then sometimes the wind blows and see how it caused a curve in the icicle? Pretty neat.
We're curious to see how long it will get. Will it reach the snow below?
I remember as a kid, living in Massachusetts and New Jersey, we'd break off icicles and have sword fights with them. Kind of dangerous as I think about it from a Mom's view.
"So. Whadaryadoin' this winter?"
"Oh, we're just watching our icicle grow."
"Oh."
**********************************************
On The Road To Spring:
Temp. this morning at 8:00 AM when I took Jake to school: 5*
Above zero!
1 comment:
I think this post about your icicle is great. I had never seen a real one until a few years ago. Jen was growing one like yours and one of the grandkids was visiting them and us and knocked it off. We were all so frustrated as it was so beautiful when the sun shone on it. Anyway they are so pretty and yours is most unusual! It is going to melt and be spring soon! Hope your Valentine's Day was fun! You must be getting so excited about France. When do you leave?
Post a Comment