Sunday, February 28, 2010

Winter Candles

On December 1st I put single candles in our windows.
This is all we do for "Christmas Lights",
heavily influenced by living in the East
where the tradition is rampant.

I'm always excited and anxious to put our candles in the windows.
I love how simple they look.
I love what they represent
("We'll leave a candle burning in the window for you.")

Many years ago I decided that I would leave these candles in the windows
all winter long.
They became my Winter Candles.
They came to represent a warm invitation to all
on the long, cold winter nights we have here.

And tonight?
Well, tonight is the last time they will burn in our windows
for this winter season.
Because tomorrow it will be March.
And even though the snow will still be here tomorrow night
my candles will not
because the Winter months will be over
(don't anyone get technical with me on this).

I'm always excited for December 1st
and the plugging in of the candles.
And I'm always excited for March 1st
when I welcome the season of Spring.


3 comments:

Becca said...

Great idea! Spring is on its way! I have proof! My hollyhocks are turning green and starting to come up, and I have a few green leaves in my strawberry patch! Woo hoo!

Bonnie said...

Beautiful tradition! They do this in Germany too and I love it. We don't have Christmas lights either outside because Jim doesn't want to fool with them but I make up for it on the inside! Your picture is beautiful of the front of your house!

It seems to have been a very long winter this year doesn't it? I am so ready for it to be done now. Maybe putting those candles away will do the trick!

velinda said...

Last year I thought of you when I bought a Christmas candle. I put it in my room, and since it has a light sensor, it comes on each night, and it stayed all year long. For the first time ever, we put up Christmas lights outside this year-- the icicle kind. It was a welcome cheer in a long dreary winter. I could hardly bear to take the tree down (stalling to Jan 31), and kept one strand of lights and hung them over the fireplace. I find I need light in the winter. And like you, I feel the click as the season presses on. We're having 40 degree days, and our several feet deep of snow is BEGINNING to melt into rivulets all through the town. Dare I say Yeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's time . . . .