Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day 7 - Work

I'm taking an online class to help me with my writing. Every morning I get an email prompt about the topic for the day and I write what I can/want, with the intent to go deeper than just the basics and to capture the details of my life. You can learn more about the class here: 31 Days For the fun of it, I'm posting on my blog what I wrote for the previous day's assignment.


***************************************


Well, now. This is my 8th attempt to define my work. I had a philosophical beginning (my work is to fulfill my life's mission and purpose). I had an immediate beginning (my work right now is to let my body heal from my surgery). I had a practical beginning (cleaning and scrubbing, etc. etc. etc.). I asked Doug to tell me what he thinks my work is. He didn't really say much (did he think it was a trick question?). I asked Abbie, "What would you tell someone who asked you what your mother does?" She didn't even know how to think about that question.

I think I'm having an identity-mid-life-crisis.

On what level should I talk about the Work of my Life?

When I was a little girl I always wanted to be a mommy. I learned how to be a mother by taking such good care of my Baby-Doll. I even still have that doll.

As a teenager in the 1970's I decided I wanted to be a secretary (hey! It was the early 70's. Women hadn't been liberated yet) because I love office stuff. How's that for motivation?

I graduated from college with a BS in Health Science in 1982 and took a job at the Weber-Morgan Health Department as the Health Educator (I had my own office and office supplies: whoo-hoo!). I did a lot of things and it was a really fun time in my life. Community health educator = Jack of all trades.

After Sam was born and we moved to Virginia for dental school, I became a stay at home mom to my two sons. It was the hardest things I'd ever done. Oh my gosh! Where was my schedule? Where was the predictability? Where was my ability to close my office door for some peace and quiet? Gone.


That was 25 years ago, and three more children have been born to our family. I have never done anything as hard as being a mom. The hours are very long. The pay is, well, non-existent in terms of dollars and cents. Most of it is on-the-job training. I've never done anything so mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually exhausting. But, it is so dang fun!


I'd have to say, that all-in-all, it's pretty good work.


No comments: