I'm taking an online class to help me with my writing. Every morning I get an email prompt about the topic for the day and I write what I can/want, with the intent to go deeper than just the basics and to capture the details of my life. You can learn more about the class here: 31 Days For the fun of it, I'm posting on my blog what I wrote for the previous day's assignment.
*******************************
Prior to September, 2009, food was just...well, food. Sometimes it was good. Sometimes it wasn't. Sometimes it was fun to make celebratory food, but most of the time it was just necessary.Then Doug took me to France. The place where his love-affair with food was born.
I have eaten food in many places, from Maine to California. From Canada to Mexico. In Hawaii, Guam, Japan, Hong Kong, Panama, and Peru. I can tell you about some pretty tasty food experiences from all my years and all my travels. But I have never experienced food quite as fully until I went to France, where food is a pleasure, and an occasion, and an experience. And if you have people around you that you like–well, it's even better.
The way I think about food has changed. I'm sorry to say this, but I think I'm becoming a food snob. ouch.
But here's what I think: The purpose of food is to nourish the body. If the body is properly nourished then one has the energy to nourish one's soul. And if our souls are properly nourished we are able to give of ourselves and serve others.
In France I learned how good REAL food tastes. Not the processed, added-to, picked-four-weeks-ago, hurryandeatsoyoucangetupandgo food that we eat here.
And so I have been trying to cook with real food as much as I can. It takes more time and more effort. It also makes a big difference in how I feel.
Here's another thing I've found interesting: I've been going back to more meatless eating (you won't find that in France!) and I'm making more meals with grains and legumes, fresh fruits and vegetables. I have been met with some resistance from my kids. I know this will make them feel better and have more energy and strength. It has been a challenge for me not to get crazy-frustrated with their hard-headedness! As I was thinking of this word -Nourish- a thought came to my mind of how much Heavenly Father wants to nourish our spirits. He has such great spiritual food for us to feast upon and sometimes, much of the time? –we are so hard-headed and we refuse to partake of the very things that will nourish us and save us from starving spiritually. What He has for us is even better than the food of France!
I think there are many cultures that understand the difference between eating to be full and eating to be nourished. I love the word Nourish and all the meanings behind it. I want to keep that word more visible in my mind because I want it to help guide my actions – the meals I prepare, the foods I use, the experience of eating that food, the people I gather with.
And so...Bon appetit!




3 comments:
hey soul sister!
well said! Bon Appetite, indeed!
Interesting, I just now on a "nourishment" binge. I have exactly one child left at home, so I wouldn't blame my other kids if they were bitter. I am finding some great books to help my journey. Some are about the family dinner, some are about specific foods, ie. I just ordered the book you blogged about on beans, plus one on grains. and some are about nutrition. I am studying up on the cultures that have the most people living to 100. Be assured I am not trying to make it to 100, but I figure that people that make it to 100 have fuller function for longer, and I figure whatever I have time left, will be benefited by that type of diet. I'm doing this in my spare time, from my full time college classes of course. (yes, I survived semester 1).
Post a Comment