Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 14 - Drink

I'm taking an online class to help me with my writing. Every morning I get an email prompt about the topic for the day and I write what I can/want, with the intent to go deeper than just the basics and to capture the details of my life.


***************************** 


My drink of necessity is water. In the fall of 2004 I experienced my first kidney stone. I've never known such pain. I would much rather birth my 9 1/2 + pound babies than deal with kidney stones. My original stone had to be blasted (lithotripsy) 3 times before it broke up enough to get on down and out. And I had another one or two stones after that. So since that time I have been a crazy water drinker. I always have my water bottle close by.

My drink of choice with spaghetti is milk. And with certain homemade cookies. And with a PB&J.

My required drink with pizza is root beer. Man, I love root beer! I don't drink it a lot because of the supposed connection between soda and kidney stones. My Grandma Odetta used to make root beer. It was very yeasty. When our family would come to Utah to visit relatives, Grandma often had some homemade root beer for the occasion. As she got older she started forgetting how long she had been "brewing" her root beer and it would start to ferment. That was some root beer Grandma made! She eventually stopped.

My drink of necessity when I have to do a late-night drive through the mountains and canyons and around the reservoirs and through more canyons, to or from home, is Pepsi. That's what can keep me going (and alert for deer). I have to be careful with this because I do like a cold Pepsi when my energy is flagging (and not just for the driving). I could get kind of hooked. 

I'm happy to report that I haven't had a kidney stone since 2005 or 2006. I can't remember now. I'll just happily keep drinking that water.

I hope I haven't jinxed anything...



No comments: