Sunday, April 27, 2008

10 Years Ago

Today is the 10th anniversary of my Dad's funeral. He died on April 24, 1998 in Fairfield, California. He was a great dad and I miss him still. I kind of feel cheated because he's not here anymore to talk to, and I'm really sad that my children have missed out on his presence and his example and his fun sense of humor. I think he would have really enjoyed his grandchildren as older people. This is one of those really big "life isn't fair" things.

This photo was taken at my wedding reception in 1984. It is a favorite picture of Dad because it captures him so well. We used it on the cover of his funeral service program.

Because Dad was a military man his funeral had military honors. Because he was an Air Force pilot there was a "flyover" during the funeral of the c-130 "Hercules" that he flew. Here my mom is being presented with the flag that had been draped over his coffin.

Funerals are a little bit weird because you are brought together for such a sad reason, but it is good to be together with your family. So here we all are with our Mom at the end of the long day: Kathy, Scott, Chris, Mark, Mom and myself.

Miss you, Dad. I'll keep in there pitchin'.

xo

No comments: