So, here it goes:
When I married Doug I automatically had two more sisters. Janet lives a few hours away in Provo and Maggie can be found in a variety of places with her military husband, Alaska being the current home. We've had tons of fun over the years and I really love these women. This weekend we went out to Provo to celebrate Janet's 50th birthday, better known as the Golden Jubilee!
Mi Ranchito, in Orem (where you can have some REALLY good Mexican food), was the party place and we met up with Janet and Rick, Maggie (from Alaska) and my brother's wife, Malinda (Mark was out of town with Gunnar).
(I see that my words are no longer being underlined. I have no idea why this is so.)
Maggie and Janet are going on a "Thelma and Louise" type road trip (without the awful preface, middle and ending) and invited me to go with them. It isn't the right season for me to be gone so long, so I'm passing on this one with the hope that there will be another adventure in the future. Maybe when Maggie turns 50. I bought Janet a snazzy bag to use on her trip, so she can look cool and so she'll think of me while she's away and wish that I could have been there!
One of the things I got for Janet is this bangle-y bracelet. It sort of jumped out at me in the store and I started smiling when I saw it. It is one of those things that you know is just right but have no explanation for it. It is a silly and fun thing. It was the perfect Jubilation gift because it is so silly and I hope that if Janet ever feels not-so-good about being 50, she'll put on this bracelet and jangle her wrist and smile. It is the one "gold" thing I gave her, because you have to have some gold if you're Jubilating!
So here's to being 50, the Golden Jubilee of life. The time when you decide 3/4 of the things really don't matter and the 1/4 that does, really does. It is a time of letting go and a time of reclaiming. It is a time of looking back and a time of looking forward. It's a time of smiling a lot because there can be so much to smile about, and because the lines look better if they're involved in a smile.
.





No comments:
Post a Comment