I'm grateful the Church has created programs like EFY. Last year after Fred got home he gave me a hug and told me that was the best money we could have spent on him. I know that experiences like EFY can help our children have opportunities to feel what the Lord's spirit is like in their lives. I love that they are able to spend time with other teens who have common goals and want to develop their testimonies. My equivalent is my two days at Women's Conference each May. In this time of the world we all need to put ourselves in places where our spirits can find rest and be fed and renewed in an incredible way. My prayer for my two sons this week is that they will be surrounded with goodness and joy and that they will allow themselves to feel in their hearts the whispering of the Lord's spirit and their testimonies will be strengthened.
Monday, August 11, 2008
EFY
Today I dropped Fred (or Phred, as he is known) and Jake off at EFY in Provo. Last year both boys went to BYU-Idaho (or Ricks, as it is known to me and other alumni). It was only because there were NO spots available (when I finally remembered to sign the boys up in March) in Idaho that they are in Provo. Jacob has the honor of filling the VERY last spot available in ALL the sessions for BYU and BYU-Idaho. Yes, that is how close we came to missing this boat.
It really is impressive how well organized the whole thing is, and how incredibly chipper the counselors are. There was a cute blond girl in the line in front of Fred, I mean, Phred, who was getting the run-down from the guy in the blue at the table, and he was so chipper with her. I whispered to Phred, "That guy is flirting with her so much!" Then when it was Phred's turn the guy was the exact same way and saying the same things! No, he wasn't flirting with Phred! It is just the EFY counselor way!
The boys each got their wrist band and DVD and book and tee-shirt and we found their dorms so they could settle in.
Phred was just a little nervous at first, but I think he'll get it all figured out.
Jake seemed to have no worries, just so happy to be there. As we were leaving home last night to come out to Provo Jake came up to me and gave me a hug and thanked me for doing everything I had done to make it possible for them to do this. I was in my uber-focus-let's-get-on-the-road mood when Jake came up to me and said those things and it stopped me dead in my tracks and my heart swelled up with love for this son of mine who is just so amazingly sweet. I call him my son with the golden heart.
I have wonderful children. They each have such special qualities about them and are each so great in their individual ways. And they are such good friends with one another, which I consider one of the greatest blessings.
I'm grateful the Church has created programs like EFY. Last year after Fred got home he gave me a hug and told me that was the best money we could have spent on him. I know that experiences like EFY can help our children have opportunities to feel what the Lord's spirit is like in their lives. I love that they are able to spend time with other teens who have common goals and want to develop their testimonies. My equivalent is my two days at Women's Conference each May. In this time of the world we all need to put ourselves in places where our spirits can find rest and be fed and renewed in an incredible way. My prayer for my two sons this week is that they will be surrounded with goodness and joy and that they will allow themselves to feel in their hearts the whispering of the Lord's spirit and their testimonies will be strengthened.
I'm grateful the Church has created programs like EFY. Last year after Fred got home he gave me a hug and told me that was the best money we could have spent on him. I know that experiences like EFY can help our children have opportunities to feel what the Lord's spirit is like in their lives. I love that they are able to spend time with other teens who have common goals and want to develop their testimonies. My equivalent is my two days at Women's Conference each May. In this time of the world we all need to put ourselves in places where our spirits can find rest and be fed and renewed in an incredible way. My prayer for my two sons this week is that they will be surrounded with goodness and joy and that they will allow themselves to feel in their hearts the whispering of the Lord's spirit and their testimonies will be strengthened.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment