Monday, August 25, 2008

Hello-Goodbye

Life just keeps happening.

On Saturday, August 16, Fred and Jake came home from being gone for a week at EFY. Nick had gone out to Provo to attend a friend's wedding and he picked the boys up from BYU, they visited Gramma and did some apartment hunting, and we met up with them at the Hollow Moon Cafe for a reunion dinner that evening.

We enjoyed being with one another, laughing and hearing stories from Fred and Jake. EFY has been such a blessing for the boys and I'm so grateful we've been able to send them. I only wish we hadn't done so many soccer camps with Nick and Sam and had sent them to more sessions of EFY. Oh well...

They are some kinda funny guys.

The Friday night before Fred and Jake came home I was in bed trying to sleep. I knew I had a TON of things to do and wondered if I ought to just get up and get some work done instead of lying in bed not sleeping. I decided to listen to my yoga music on my ipod instead, it always helps me relax and go to sleep. As I was relaxing I realized that Fred would be moving out the next week, that this was it! I only had a week left with him, how could this have happened so fast? I wasn't done! And I just lay there in bed softly crying. Another child was leaving.

This week went by very quickly. I spent a good chunk of it making Fred's Scouting scrapbook and getting things ready for his Eagle Court of Honor, which was last night. The week went by in a whirl, and this evening was the time for goodbye.

boo-hoo-hoo

not really!

The car was loaded and Nick was impatient to get going, but Fred had to get a few last rides and tricks in before he left.

Too cool, Phred


The the last hugs and kisses for everyone...


...while Nick patiently waited...

...and they were off!

I'm glad I had my tears a week ago. Today I felt excited for the boys. I remember how fun it was to go off to college. It was such a great thing to take charge of my life in baby steps. Fred will be living with Nick, and Gramma will be nearby, as will Aunt Janet and Uncle Rick. It will be a wonderful time in Fred's life. Nick will be back in school also and I really am so excited for them. I loved college, for the most part(!). All will be well.

This is what we raise our children for--to leave.

Now we only have two children left at home. I don't know whether to do a jig or sit and cry. Isn't life a curious thing?

No comments: