Saturday, November 21, 2009

And One More Thing...

I have much to do,
not unlike most other women at this time of year.

Thursday night Del Rey had to drive
2 1/2 hours to The Bigger City for a meeting and
I asked, "Can I come? We can talk for 5 hours!"
and he said "sure!" so Abbie and I jumped in.

This jaunt wasn't on my "much to do" list.

(But you know, 5 hours of driving goes by much faster if talking is involved.)

After we dropped Del Rey off at his meeting
Miss Abbie and I drove around looking for someplace to go.
I wasn't in a part of The Bigger City that I was familiar with
so I wasn't sure where to go.
But we eventually found a Target
and that is always a good place to spend some time
(and money).

The first thing into my cart was a book which I can't get enough of.
I've been reading it while I eat my cereal.
I've been reading it while I brush my teeth.
I've been reading it while I wait to pick up Jake after school.
And I don't read cook books-- I look at them.


What makes this so interesting to me is that
I read Julia Child's memoir which goes into great detail about
the writing of this book
AND
now that I've tasted real French food
I get it.

So I'm ready to learn what I can--if I can.
And this book really is a manual to teach and explain
the art of French cooking.


But this section...
oh, I cannot wait to try this section.
I want to learn how to make a tart.

And this is why:

While we stayed with the Picard's in Angers
I had my first tart, a fig tart.
I don't know how to explain how good this was.

And our second day we had a pear tart
and I thought I'd never tasted anything so good.

So now I need to get my courage up and give a few things a try.

Because this was one of the best things I've eaten.



2 comments:

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

Shaun I have loved this post and couldn't help remember your wonderful trip posts on France and also the movie, Julie and Julia.

I remember Julia Child on TV growing up and that voice of hers! I was stunned by the performance of Meryl Streep...she is my favorite actress...there is no end to her talent. She was so convincing! Book sales have soared since the movie.

I know you will master the tart! Have fun.