Hey, Shaun, how was your weekend?
Oh, it was fine enough. Doug left Thursday night for some dental meetings and business on Friday and Saturday, then he went to a family thing on Sunday in the City of Roy. So Jake and Abbie and I kind of hung out and chilled together.
Anything exciting happen?
Well, no, not really. Well, not until I received a phone call last night around 7:00 PM from a woman who told me Doug was broken down on the Highway around mile marker 43 and he needed me to go rescue him. That wasn't really exciting. It was more like a hassle. Mile marker 43?? We live out in the middle of nowhere. But at least our Nowhere is Somewhere. To get to us you REALLY have to go through The Middle Of Nowhere. That's where Mile Marker 43 is. So I was getting ready to leave when the phone rang again and this time it was Doug and he said that a family on their way home from Disneyland stopped and offered to bring him home and so I didn't have to come and get him. That was better news.
Yeah? Then what happened? Did he get home safely or were the people maniacs masquerading as a family?
Oh, about an hour later he got home. So they were a real family. They might have wondered if Doug was a maniac masquerading as a guy with a flat tire on his motorcycle on the side of the road in The Middle Of Nowhere in the dark of night. I think everyone might have breathed a huge sigh of relief when Doug was brought to our house.
Well, that's a good ending. Everyone was safe. whew!
Actually...that wasn't the end. Doug was home but his motorcycle was still on the side of the road. And his saddlebags were "hidden" in the ditch by the side of the road. And so he actually had to go get everything.
No!
Yes. So he called a couple of his friends to borrow a trailer. First Friend's trailer had a flat. Second Friend said "sure!" so he took the truck over to Friend's house only to discover the ball-thing was out of the trailer hitch. So he came home to get it but it wasn't in the garage. So he went over to the office garage but couldn't find it there either. Do people steal the ball out of a trailer hitch? Well, Second Friend had told Doug he could also borrow his truck, not a problem. So Doug went back to Second Friend's house and they hitched trailer to truck.
So then Doug went back to get the motorcycle?
Well, first he came home to get some things and by that time I was feeling sort of like I should go with him to help him stay awake and to watch for deer (A huge hazard in these parts. We've had some major repairs to vehicles, and a few dents we're living with, because of hitting deer). I don't get points for doing this because I didn't want to go. Mentally it was hard to think about driving all that way towards civilization and then stop and turn around and drive all the way away from civilization to here again. You have to live here to really understand that.
So then you both went to get the motorcycle?
Yep. And Abbie came, too. We gave Jake instructions to get to bed. We gassed up Friend's truck. And by 10:30 PM we were on our way. And it wasn't too bad of a drive. Doug and I talked the whole way and got caught up on stuff and Abbie fell asleep in the back seat. Just over an hour later we got to Mile Marker 47, not 43. ha! Good thing I didn't go looking for him on my own because I would have sped right past him in the dark on my way to Mile Marker 43. Yikes. That lady who called was a little forgetful, or something.
So that would put you home at...?
At 1:30 AM. Right. Then Doug had to unload his bike and his gear. Then take the truck and trailer back to Friend's house. BUT! He forgot to take HIS keys with him so that he could drive OUR truck home. So he WALKED home. Argh! And that meant he had to ride his peddle bike over to Friend's house this morning before work to get our truck.
Well, that means he only had, let's see, about...
Yeah, about 4 1/2 hours of sleep. PLEASE don't let any of today's patient's know how few hours of sleep their dentist had last night. Can you imagine? For what it's worth, they were really good hours. Doug has the gift of falling asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow. And our mattress is such a good one that it is always a quality sleep. So it was really like 6 hours of sleep, you know...?
So, that's a pretty exciting end to your weekend.
Yes. Well. Excitement like that I can do without, thank you very much. Now I think I'll go take a nap. It's going to be a long day...




6 comments:
You should become a writer. You could give Dan Brown a run for his money the way you had me on pins and needles wondering now what next??? I am happy you all survived even on less sleep!
Ditto-except I do not know who Dan Brown is.
Jen, Dan Brown is the author of the newest best seller THE LOST SYMBOL, plus he also wrote THE DAVINCI CODE and ANGELS AND DEMONS and you can't even come close to guessing what's coming next in his books!
What a fun adventure! (Haha!) The one nice thing was you didn't have to worry about lunatics out there just looking to do someone harm. As you know that is not true in too many places anymore. Glad all ended well and hope everyone has caught up on their sleep by now!
And yes, you should become a writer! About travel in France! Or any other topic you like!
See what happens when you marry a guy? Precisely why I have the optional tire and wheel warranty on my Harley. It includes tow truck service to the nearest dealer. It has already paid for itself with the one flat I've had. Easy, no worries.
But then, he did take you to France and provide interpretation. I'll have to pay for that myself.
Post a Comment