Friday, January 8, 2010

How Long You Gonna Drag This Out?

*sigh*

It is pretty much packed away.
Another year of memories destined for the attic.


It took me awhile to get to this point.
The boxes sat by the tree for a few days.
But that didn't stop me from enjoying the tree.

It was a beautiful tree full of memories.
Sparkly glass balls from Macy's clearance one year next to
felt and glitter/glue ornaments made by tiny boy-hands.
Ornaments from a Hong Kong family trip in 1969
Ornaments from Panama living in 1976.
Handmade on Thanksgiving Day ornaments from sometime in the 1960's.
"Our First Christmas" 1984.
5 special "Baby's First Christmas".
Two new ornaments this year by Willow Tree from Deseret Book.

They were all together on that tree
in all their worn beauty.
Full of the memories of many lives
and many Christmases.

I haven't actually put the tree away yet.
It is still standing in the living room looking
a little naked.

I'm feeling pretty good to have everything else packed away.

Now Abbie and I are off to Gramma's to do the same for her!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

I always dread the putting away but this year I didn't have that to do. Just a few things I put out for our house guests that I'll get put away this week.

I have missed being able to read your blog, Shaun. It is such a great one and I love having you for a new friend.

I thought of your trip to France several times while in Italy. I kept wishing I was wearing cute shoes instead of practical (aka ugly) walking shoes so I could have taken some feet photos. So where are you going next? For us I think a trip to the east coast next fall to see the fall colors if I can save enough between now and then.

Happy New Year to you and yours. Hope you had fun helping your mom put all her treasures away for another year!