Thursday, January 14, 2010

No Need To Feel Helpless

I tend to not watch a lot of television. My main source for news is what I hear on NPR when and if I have the radio on. My Mom made a comment in an e-mail on Wednesday about Haiti and I didn't know what she was referring to, so I went to yahoo and saw what had happened. Since then I've been listening a little more to the radio.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about my religion (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or Mormon) the Humanitarian arm of the organization of the church is outstanding. I'm hearing many people ask what they can do for Haiti, and if you want to make hygiene kits or newborn kits go here: Make Humanitarian Kits. If you want to donate money go here: Humanitarian Aid Fund.

From FAQ on the Church's website:

How much of the money donated to the Church's Humanitarian Aid Fund goes for administrative or fund-raising expenses?

Unlike some charitable organizations, none of the contributions made to the Church's Humanitarian Aid Fund are used for administrative or fund-raising expenses. Other Church resources are used to pay these expenses.

So if you donate money you can be assured that ALL of it will go towards humanitarian supplies, not someone's income. That has always made me feel good about donating money here as opposed to other organizations.

A few years ago I was the Humanitarian Leader for our local church group and I loved it. We put together hundreds and hundreds of hygiene kits, collected clothes for orphanages in Africa, made wall-hangings for orphanages in Africa and Russia, made newborn kits, collected boxes and boxes of clothes for Katrina victims. Made quilts. Made school kits. Every month we did something different based on the need from the Church's Humanitarian Center.

There are lots of ways to help with what's going on in Haiti. This is one way. It has nothing to do with the Mormon church, it has to do with an organization that is very organized and has supplies READY and WAITING for when the need arises:

Church Sends Additional Aid to Haiti Earthquake Victims

SALT LAKE CITY 13 January 2010 In the wake of the devastating earthquake in Haiti, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is mobilizing resources to address the most pressing needs of the people in the Caribbean nation. Images of collapsed buildings and devastated families tell the story of the widespread destruction.


Two planes, one departing from Denver as early as Thursday and another leaving from Miami later this week will each include over 80,000 pounds of food and emergency resources such as tents, tarps, water filtration bottles and medical supplies donated by the Church. Transportation is being provided by Airline Ambassadors and Food for the Poor will aid with distribution in Haiti.


“We are constantly assessing needs to determine how our resources can directly help the people of Haiti,” said Nate Leishman, manager of the Church’s humanitarian emergency response efforts. “We are fully committed to this ongoing process and doing our best to help wherever we can.”


These new shipments are in addition to emergency supplies being sent by truck from the Dominican Republic including personal hygiene kits and supplies for newborns announced early Wednesday by the Church.


“We express our sympathy and prayers on behalf of the citizens of Haiti following the recent devastating earthquake,” said Kim Farah, Church spokesperson.


All Latter-day Saint missionaries serving in the country are safe, and Church leaders continue efforts to account for Church members in the area.

Donations for relief efforts can be made at http://give.lds.org/emergencyresponse.



Now you know what you can do.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Beautiful, Shaun! I have been wanting to have a minute to link to your blog for a long time and this is the day!

Dorothy said...

Such a good post on your blog today!

I hope everyone has a prayer of thanks in their hearts every time they flip on a light switch, or turn on a faucet and see clean running water, or even use an indoor bathroom---things we do daily without any thought for what we consider the simple everyday things of life but to a Haitian would be a miracle. I am certain many people will be generous with their donations as with their prayers.

Natalie Jane said...

So glad you posted this. I was just wondering if the church has a place to donate. Just checking over from "Getting Out of Auto" class!