I've been thinking, the past little while, about perspective and about choices and about selfishness. I've wondered often about how we humans are so easily fooled--by ourselves. How easily we are able to go through life rearranging things just because we feel like it, and then think it is right or true. I've had conversations with a few of my girlfriends about this, and we always end the discussion wondering what we aren't seeing and everyone around us is seeing and then wondering why we are so blind/dumb. Years and years ago I read a quote that had to do with perspective and our tendencies to think we are always right. The author wrote that he always said this to himself when he was in a situation of possible conflict, and I knew it would be a good mantra for me:
I could be wrong about this.
It was kind of hard to keep some of the peaches from being devoured by everyone, but I knew that during the long cold winter we'd love the taste of a fresh/frozen peach pie. It would remind us of the summer that would come again.
That's what perspective can do for us. Perspective lets us see past the moment. Perspective tells us that a winter is going to come and it would be a good thing to save some of the peaches.
When my kids were small we listened to Scriptures Scouts a lot. We listened and sang on our road trips. We listened and sang in the house. Sometimes I played the music on the piano and we'd sing. One of the songs that always cracked me up was when King Noah, the wicked king in the Book of Mormon, sang his song: I want-want-want what I want-want-want and this is how I get it I take-take-take what I take-take-take and I never let it bother me, no sir-ee! For I am king, king, king.
Perspective helps us know that we shouldn't burn bridges.
Perspective lets us say to ourselves: I could be wrong about this. And not many people are brave enough to say that.
There are a lot of "King Noah's" in this world. What they want they go about taking, not considering the impact on the future, not considering the hearts that are hurt, not pausing to say quietly to themselves: I could be wrong about this.
This song isn't so funny to me anymore.




7 comments:
I love scripture scouts! We used to listen to those tapes in the car on long family trips.
("A hippo-what??")
Thanks for the reminder ... I am wrong about things often.
Sigh....
Dumb kids. Now what did they do?
Not directed at my own kids! I'm just saying...
Then I would like some of that peach pie now!
At least you said "you would like" instead of "I want, want, want..."!
This is a great post! Love that little song, it sounds so familiar, doesn't it? I have been thinking about you and hoping your trip is still on. Is it?
Your pie looks fabulous!
Can you give your mom my e-mail address? I can't figure out how to reply to her comments otherwise on my blog.
Mine is bonniejmattson@yahoodotcom if she wants to send me hers.
Fingers crossed for your family vacation, Shaun!
Post a Comment