************************************

I am always having conversations in my head. Sometimes I talk with myself. But usually I'm talking to God. Conversations. All day long.
I don't always find it easy to have conversations with people. I don't think I'm good at small talk. I've learned how to do it, and it may even seem as if I can do small talk easily. But it isn't my favorite thing to do.
I would much rather have meaningful conversations with people, preferably one-on-one or in very small groups. Years ago I developed a response when someone would ask me (in a general, social kind of way), "How are you?" I always had a hard time with that question. "Do you really want to know? Or is this just a general question?" So I started asking back, "On what level are you asking?!" Ha ha! I can meet you on whatever level you're approaching me. We can chit chat or we can have a meaningful conversation or we can go anywhere in-between.
I thrive on meaningful conversations with a variety of people. That happened often in my pre-married-pre-mom days; not so much anymore. There just isn't the time that there used to be as a single person. But I still love being able to have conversations and discussions on life with people who can do that without feeling threatened by opposing opinions, or who don't get caught up in their personal emotions or their need to be right. It is so invigorating to have those kinds of conversations.
And that's why I'm my own best company! ha!
I learned a great principle in the college class I took from Stephan R. Covey (my class notes–which I still have– look like a manuscript for his book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, which hadn't yet been published). In this organizational behavior class he said, "When you meet someone who is just like you – get rid of them! You don't need them! There's nothing you can learn from them!" Then he said, "I'm just kidding. But don't be afraid of people who are different from you. They are the ones you can learn the most from. Value the differences."
That has stuck with me throughout these 30 years since that class. Having conversations with people who think differently that I do? Fascinating. The problem with people is that we get emotional and start taking things personally and then we can get offended, or nuts. And that's the end of a great conversation/discussion/debate. People don't know how to do that very well anymore. Instead we are content to converse on a very basic level. IMO.
KWIM?




1 comment:
That is cool that you had Steven Covey. I have a BS in OB, but only got to serve him lunch every Thursday at the BYU Skyroom. He is a good tipper tho.
Post a Comment