Saturday, March 28, 2009

This Girl

May I just tell you
how much I love
this girl.

Still, after 10 years,
there will be moments
when I find myself
catching my breath
when I look at her.

I LOVED being a mother of sons,
just sons.
There was something very special about
being a mom
to those four sons.
But I always suspected
there was something different
about being a mother
to a daughter.

When Abigail was born
I felt it.
It was a very primitive sensation.
It had something to do with
passing on to my daughter
all the secrets and knowledge
of woman
so that she, too, could be
a Keeper
of all things mysterious to women.

How to bake bread.
How to hold a baby.

How to build a fire.
(The feeling really went back that far.)

Today we celebrated her birthday
with some of her friends.
Nothing primitive about today!

We went to the Rec Center
in the neighboring town

...and the girls did a little rock climbing

...to see how high up they could get

...and we spent HOURS
in the water

...swimming and water-sliding and jumping and diving

...and in the party room
Doug (Master of All Things Fun and Crazy)
got things going with the
ever-too-much-frosting-on-the-cake-so-what-should-we-do-with-it?

...and the girls got him back with a full-on-frosting-face.
(This was maybe a little primitive...)

It was a fun day.
We all had a great time.

And tonight, as I lay beside Miss Abbie on her bed,
and we had our quiet talk-time
before she went to sleep,
those feelings of
love
wonder
profound gratitude
connection with the ages
but mostly
love
crept into my being.

I really love this girl.


5 comments:

Becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becca said...

Yes, that was me who deleted my comment! It came out weird!

I know what you mean, being the mother of one girl and 3 sons. It is wonderful and mysterious!

What rec center is that? I am always looking for cool places to take my kids and that place looks cool!!

Dorothy said...

I will try again. In these photos, does Abbie sorta resemble what Meryl Streep may have looked like at age 10?

Shaun at Oak Den said...

Yes, I do kind of see that! I had actually told Doug that I thought Abbie has an "old-fashioned" look about her face. I adore Meryl Streep and her acting and her unique look, so I like the comparison!

Shaun at Oak Den said...
This comment has been removed by the author.