Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Even The Weeds Are Pretty


I've been homeschooling my children
for 20 years.
That's a lot of years.

Sometimes I get really tired of doing this.
Sometimes I don't do a great job at this.
Sometimes I feel like we're in such a rut.

Last week I did something about that.

Jake, Abbie and I loaded up some books
and popped some popcorn
and filled our water bottles
and had Luther jump in the back of the truck

and we drove out to the Ouray Bird Refuge
by the Green River

and I let Jake drive on the dirt roads
so he can get some driving time in

and I let Abbie ride in the back of the truck
with Luther

and we drove around as much as we could

and got out a few times to look around

and it felt good to do this. 

Years ago
before we moved to Utah
I went to a homeschool conference and
a presenter said something I've always remembered.
He said that the whole state of Utah
is one big science curriculum.

I believe him

It was a good day.



7 comments:

Becca said...

Ahhh! Love it! Need to do this for sure! Say, where do you guys live? I can't figure it out!

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

Blogger Bonnie said...

Variety is the spice of life they say. What a great thing to home school your kids and know they are receiving what they need most. My daughter,Laura, home schooled her oldest boy, Spencer, when he was in 2nd grade and it nearly killed her~so much work and the regulations in CA are tighter than if he had been in public school. He has a severe peanut allergy and they did not feel comfortable with the district's ability to care for him in an emergency. Now they live in Italy where peanuts are not much of an issue. What a blessing.

I am glad you had a fun day with the kids and you deserve a metal of honor for 20 years! Good for you!

Gone Gal said...

So you had a "field trip" then? Remember one of the field trips you had in normal school? You got to see a Yankee's game at the original Shea Stadium!

happybritton said...

Your pictures are amazing!
Not just these ones; I think that about every picture you post. I love them all!

Shaun at Oak Den said...

Yes, Kathy, we had a field trip! And I do remember my field trip to see the Yankees play ball. Mickey Mantel hit a foul ball that landed in my lap and another kid grabbed it and wouldn't give it back! It was the Safety Patrol that went, and I, eh-hem, was the Captain of the Safety Patrol that year. I was many things that year. It was the prime of my life. It has all been down hill ever since...ha ha hee hee

Gone Gal said...

I didn't know about the Mickey Mantle story. Shauna, I'm serious. We need to track that kid down, give him a couple of black eyes and take that ball BACK!