Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Get Mushy On Me

So. Sam was home last week for a few days. 

I always make sure I have plenty of bananas when Sam is around because he is a good banana eater. I'll buy bananas even when Sam isn't going to be home, but they will often get too ripe because, well, Sam is the good banana eater. 

I learned, as many of you also learned, that the very ripe, mushy, almost black bananas are the best ones to use when you want to make banana bread because you can mash the bananas so easily. And if your bananas get too ripe, and you don't have time right then to make bread, you can put them in your freezer where they will keep until you do have time.

I have used this tip through the years, putting my overly ripe bananas in the freezer until I had time to make bread. This was a very wise and economical thing for me to do. In the early days I would wait until bananas went on sale for 25c a lb. and I'd buy a big bunch because I loved the luxury of having bananas. Nowadays I try not to notice the price, it is so outrageous. And I only buy a few bananas at a time so they won't have much of a chance to get too ripe.

I admit, through the years there were often more black, frozen bananas in our freezer than I had time or inclination for. And sometimes they'd get thrown away! Oh, that would kill me because bananas were always so expensive! And when they'd get thrown away I always felt like such a Betty Crocker Failure.

So when Sam was home last week, while eating a banana I might add, I overheard him say something about remembering how there were always black bananas in the freezer but never any banana bread. 

ouch.

I have to admit that stung. But what does he know about being a homeschooling mother of 5? huh? Tell me that? Who has time to make banana bread?? 

Okay. I'm calmed down now.

So to redeem myself and all the back frozen bananas in the freezer that never became bread, I did make bread tonight with the bananas on the counter that were in various stages of blackness.

So there, Samo. I do make banana bread!




4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Isn't it often that way? We do a million things daily but still beat ourselves up about what we didn't do.

I don't think anyone knows the work involved in being a homemaker until they are in those shoes. You were better than me when life got so overwhelming they just went straight to the garbage if they were too yucky to eat. Bad, I know but you just cannot do it all, all of the time.

So I am glad you did make some banana bread. It is always like starting over again once we feel we have redeemed ourselves in any given area.

Becca said...

I actually read this post from my cellphone and then I had to get back on my desktop so I could type up a comment. Your sense of humor cracks me up! lol Thanks for this!

Jen said...

I have the opposite problem-too many banana eaters in this house. I purposely buy the overripe bananas and stick them in the freezer as soon as I get home. Not for banana bread mind you -because who has time for that? No, instead I need them for smoothies because if I have bananas I don't have to use any sweetener.
More food for thought...

happybritton said...

it's funny, but i totally knew that Sam was a good banana eater.
This is funny!
Thanks for the laugh Sis!