Remember the 90's?
They weren't too long ago.
Did you realize that the 1990's are long ago enough to be considered an historical era?
We just finished the 90's fercryinoutloud!
Well, in our little town we have a yearly celebration the last of July into the first weekend of August. We have art shows and games in the park and beauty pageants and concerts at the park for three nights and a triathlon and fireworks the last night and all sorts of FUN things.
One of those fun events is a mock pageant for the young men ages 16-24. Two years ago Fred won this event and was the King of the yearly celebration. Tonight Jake gave it a shot. The theme? Hip-Hop in the 90's.
Do you know how funny it is to watch teen age guys perform a dance they've rehearsed twice?!
It's pretty funny. That's how funny it is.
The guys do a dance, showcase a talent, model something from the theme era (Hip-Hop in the 90's this year), answer a random question, tell a joke, model their legs, and the winner gets $500.00! That's nothing to sneeze at!
Jake did a great job playing the piano and singing "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds.
Kind of a big deal to be up on the stage with a grand piano and sing into a mike while you play a fancy tune. But he did a beautiful job. Really very lovely. I imagine he'll post the video I took on his Facebook or youtube or whatever it is they do.
Jake didn't win this year. I think his youth and inexperience in the pageant circuit might have been a factor. But we have one whole year to get our game on. I can learn to be a stage mother, can't I? We can figure out this game. He can learn how to smile correctly and do The Pageant Wave (elbow-elbow-wrist-wrist-wrist, or something like that?). Darn. I should have told him to put vaseline on his teeth so he could smile easily. Maybe Phred, our successful pageant winner, can be his coach. Yes. That's what we can do.
We'll start tomorrow.




3 comments:
This is great, Shaun. Isn't it fun to watch your kids perform~win or lose~you win as the parent! Our 2 youngest kids were active in fun things like this and we really enjoyed that. I was always amazed at where they got their courage. They were in plays and concerts and Laura was in the Junior Miss Pageant in high school. What an amazing experience. I miss those times. Get working on next year~what a great time! Would love to see the video!
I look forward to a private recital Jake! You are the best and I love you muchisimo!
Post a Comment