Thursday, October 1, 2009

24 Reasons Why...


...I love you, Nick (in no particular order):

1. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are the child who made me a mother, and what an incredibly wonderful day that was, 24 years ago.

Sept. 28, 1985

2. I love how funny you are. You are a funny-kind-of-guy! I remember when your sense of humor started emerging and how delightful that was to discover about you. Funny!

Stunt-kite flying-2002

3. I love your very kind heart.

Timberline with Matt and Jacob-1999

4. I love your artistry. Ever since you were a young child you've shown an artistic talent. I was so excited when we took you to the Smithsonian, when you were 5 and we lived in Virginia, to show you the display of da Vinci's sketches, thinking that your doodling could end up being like his!

Colorado Springs, 2003

5. With your artistic abilities come your musical abilities. Wow. The music you write, the lyrics you write, it is music for the thinking man, to be sure. I love your music.

Sam, Nick and Bjorn-2002

6. I love your ability to think deeply. It will make you crazy at times; a blessing and a cursing. (You already know this.)

Nick, Jake, Doug, Abbie-2002

7. I love your thoughtfulness.

Dad's crazy artwork-1996

8. I love what a good cleaner you are! If I ever need something cleaned well, I ask you because I know you'll do a good job.

Scout Camp after winning the relay for the troop-1997

9. I love your humility. You have a humble spirit about you.

Cove Fort-1996

10. I love your willingness to try new things.

Mim, Fred, Nick and Sam
Dinosaur Quarry, 1996

11. I love that you are my #1 computer guy. If I have questions you have answers. Sometimes you actually make me have to learn the answer and I get frustrated because I just want you to do whatever it is, but you guide me along so that I can understand the "why". Even when it hurts my head...

The Get-away
Winter, 1995

12. I love what a good sport you are about things.

Utah mountains-1996

13. I love the fine man you are becoming.

Sam, Fred, Shauna and Nick
Colorado Springs, CO- April 1992

14. I love how enthusiastic you have been about your life.

Sundance, UT
July, 1991

15. I love how intelligent you are and your ability to analyze things and form your opinions and then articulate those thoughts. You have an ability to speak very convincingly.

Nick and Sam
Lake Tahoe- Sept. 1992

16. I love your ability to set goals and work hard to achieve them. You do have a strong determinism in you when you choose.

Nick and Doug
Barstow, CA-Nov. 1992

17. I love that you were such a happy child. There was always laughing and singing and talking about everything.

Shauna with baby Jake
Fred, Sam and Nick
Ft. Irwin, CA- May, 1993

18. I love that you and your brothers have always been best friends and I hope that will always be the case.

Nick and Doug
Feb. 2009

19. I love how creative you are, and not just in art and music, but also in the way you think and the way you view life and how you approach challenges.

Jake, Nick, Sam, Abbie, Fred and Doug
San Diego-Dec. 2008

20. I love the strength you are developing within yourself. I think that you have taken life's challenges and are becoming stronger because of them and not letting yourself become a victim of life.

Legoland
Dec. 2008

21. I love how handsome you are. You were a beautiful baby and a darling little boy and now you are a handsome young man.

San Diego
Dec. 2008

22. I love how you contribute to the fun and funniness when you and your brothers are all together! So much laughter and funny remarks and good 'ol hilarity.

Dec. 2008

23. I love the 24 years of great memories I have of you!

Ogden, Utah
1994

24. I love being your mom. You have taught me how to be more kind, and loving, and to have more patience with myself and with situations and with other people. You've helped me learn how to have more faith in Heavenly Father and His plan for each of us. You are such a great person and such a wonderful son and how blessed I am to be your mom.

A very HAPPY UN-BIRTHDAY to you!!

(Note to anyone who reads this: Nick does NOT like a fuss made over him on his birthday, so I didn't fuss over him ON his birthday. Now that it is his UN-birthday, I offer this tribute to him and the wonderful person he is.)

(My thanks to the Mad Hatter for helping us all understand the celebratory concept of the un-birthday....)


5 comments:

Gone Gal said...

Happy day! hope your wishes all come tru !

Unknown said...

What an amazing tribute to Nick. I love it Shauna.
Your a great mom. I am glad I read this today. Thank you

Unknown said...

I don't know why it says Keven. It me, Carla

Bonnie said...

Waht a sweet young man. I love that photo of Nick and his dad back in the 90's. Such cute redheads. The dishes on your table were some that we had as well...wasn't that the last time brown was so popular? Such a sweet son! Congrats!

happybritton said...

I LOVE "un-birthdays!"
I love this post! I was a little scared you weren't going to do a Nick post. I am so very glad that you did. I agree with all that was said. You have SUCH a WONDERFUL family!A20ANIKIN