Monday, September 28, 2009

On Being A Mom

Twenty four years ago today I became a Mom. Mommy. Mother. Momma.
I always wanted to be a mommy.
I took care of my baby-dolls.
I learned how to change a diaper
and hold a baby
and wrap a baby in a receiving blanket
and burp a baby
all with my dolly.

As I grew older I played with little children.
I took babies from their moms at church
(now I know how much those moms loved that!)
I was the supreme baby-sitter.

I thought I had it all figured out
when that day came, 24 years ago.
And there was a lot I DID have figured out.
But there was a lot that I didn't even KNOW about,
let alone know how to figure it out.

It has been a curious journey,
being a mother.
I didn't know it could be so funny.
I didn't know it would be so hard.
I didn't know I would be so protective.
I didn't know I would love so fiercely.

I didn't know so much would be required of me.
To my very core.

N: xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
S: xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
F: xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
J: xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
A: xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

...to the moon and back!





3 comments:

Bonnie said...

When you add all their ages together you have a lot of experience as a mom. Mine are 37, 34, and 31 so I have passed over 100 years of motherhood. There is not a harder or more wonderful experience to be had by women on this earth in my opinion. I think God gave us this opportunity to get a glimpse of the pure love of Christ in our lives.

Your kids all seem so nice. I hope they continue to delight you in spite of any challenging moments that come along.

Congratulations on being a great mom for 24 years! What a blessing!

Gone Gal said...

Thanks for having your kids. I think it relieved any pressure on me to breed.

It just goes to show you where you attention goes is what you attract. You played with dolls; mine still look like they came out of the box. I played with cars and my garage is full of pleasing gems. Cars and motorcycles cost less and if they don't perform to your liking, you can trade them in.

WesnKim-sidebyside said...

You have such a way with words...Poetic...Simple...Beautiful...and Complete. You captured the exactness of motherhood, parenthood and life. Thank you for sharing. I look at my brood tonight and smile, the reflection sweeter after reading your blog. Thank you.