Sometimes it's like Christmas around here.
Especially at the beginning of a new school year.
That's when we get all sorts of fun-
well, fun might be stretching it a little bit sometimes,
but at the moment it does seem fun-
all sorts of fun school things for the new year.
All the possibilities for learning and exploring and experimenting
in one middle-sized cardboard box.
(Not to mention everything we already have after how many years of doing this? 20?)
Of course, within a few months-maybe even weeks- I'll be hearing
"I hate this" or "I don't wanna do this"
(said with a very whiney voice-you know the one...)
so we'll bake cookies or go on a field trip instead.
The last thing I want to do is kill the love of learning
(which, I'm afraid, I have done at times in the past because I get too OCD about this)
so I try to shake things up a little bit to keep it fun.
And right now it is fun!
Abbie is old enough to be very self-directed
and has been enjoying her science
and her math (gasp! I may have found the right program at last!)
and geography
(I still say George-Earl's-oldest-girl-rode-a-pig-home-yesterday when I need to spell this).
Here's to a new school year.
May we have a grand time on the 2009-2010 journey.




1 comment:
This is so great Shaun. You are such a veteran at this! I am going to direct my daughter, Laura to this post. She is on her 2nd year of Home Schooling and is just doing it for one of her boys, Spencer. He is in 5th grade this year. He has been bored to death in school and is also a great lover of learning. Homework on things he has known since age 5 has been a battle or them. That and the fact that he has a severe peanut allergy which makes the social aspect of school a nightmare for him sometimes, has gotten her to try it again. She also home schooled him in 2nd grade before they moved to Italy and that time it was strictly for safety with the allergy.
I know I would home school if my kids were young now. The social advantages of public school no longer exist. I wouldn't want them hanging out with the bunch I see exiting school at 3:00 pm every day. Yikes!
Good for you doing it. I think it is great and requires a whole lot more from mom!
Post a Comment