Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hey! Wake Up!


This evening I was standing at my kitchen sink working on dinner and I looked out the window and saw this:

And so I got my camera and went outside to take a picture of it, of the beautiful color this bush has become. Remember how pink and full of bees it was last Spring?

Then I looked around, really looked around, and I saw bits of Autumn everywhere.


And I realized that in my über-focused way that I can sometimes live life, I hadn't been paying attention. I had been focusing on our trip to France for so long, and then focusing on getting back to real life, and getting our home school schedule going, and then getting our personal tax information to our accountant and now ALL of that is done and BAM!!!

It is Autumn!


Lovely, golden Autumn.

Summer green is hanging on in some places. And we have the most beautiful blue skies here which can kind of fool me into thinking we're still in the warm season.


But then I see how the evening sun glows through the gold in a tree...


And I see the muted gold on another bush...


And our crab apple tree is laden with useless fruit (tell me what to do with all those crab apples!) but look at those colors...


And I stop and look at the progression of colors, all the greens and golds...

And it is all so lovely.

Even though I knew, on an intellectual level, that it is now Autumn, today I realized-all the way to my core- that it is Autumn.

And I do love Autumn.


5 comments:

WesnKim-sidebyside said...

Crabapple Jelly!

Ingredients:
8 cups fresh crabapples
water as needed 3 cups white sugar
1 (3 inch) cinnamon stick (optional)

Directions:
1. Remove stems and blossom ends from crabapples, and cut into quarters. Place them in a large stainless steel or other non-reactive pot or saucepan. Add enough water to be able to see, but no so much that the crabapples are floating. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. The apples should soften and change color.
2. Strain the apples and juice through 2 or 3 layers of cheese cloth. You should have at least 4 cups of juice. Discard pulp, and pour the juice back into the pan. Bring to a simmer, and let cook for 10 minutes. Skim off any foam that comes to the top. Next, stir in the sugar until completely dissolved. Continue cooking at a low boil until the temperature reaches 220 to 222 degrees F (108 to 110 C). Remove from heat.
3. Pour the jelly into sterile small decorative jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process in a hot water bath to seal.

Shaun at Oak Den said...

Okay, Kim! Thank you! I knew that had to be something I could do with all that "fruit".

Gone Gal said...

I think you're supposed to give crabapples to Mrs. Crabtree.

Shaun at Oak Den said...

I actually knew a Crabtree family on my mission in Paradise, CA!

Bonnie said...

Hi Shaun,

Isn't it weird how things can be all around that we will miss if we are not paying attention. Life can get so hectic and you have had a lot going on. I am glad you took a moment to enjoy evidences of autumn all around. I would love to meet you at TaiPan and for lunch one day on my next trip maybe. Oh, that would be Thanksgiving so maybe the first of the year. I know I will be coming here more often as Jen is needing help.

The canyon we were in was Hobble Creek in Springville. It was absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous.

I was planning to go home tomorrow but maybe it will be a few days from then. I am not feeling really good about leaving just yet.

Have a fun day!

Love, B