Monday, October 19, 2009

Things Keeping Me Busy:

A few years ago Doug volunteered his services and became a member of the Medical Reserve Corps. They meet quarterly and discuss protocol in case of emergencies. After taking care of their own families, in an emergency situation, they are to report to a central location and will then be first responders.

Last week the MRC members were "activated".

I'm still trying to figure out what I think about all this H1N1.

Looks like things are getting serious around here.

*******************************************************
#1


M R C Members Alert:

M R C members have been activated by the TriCounty
Health Department Director. A special meeting will be held on Tuesday
October 20th at 7 PM at the TriCounty Health Department in -------- to
discuss the details. Please confirm receipt of this mandated activation.
This is a high priority alert.



#2


MRC Members,

PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT MRC Volunteers will be activated for upcoming H1N1 vaccination clinics.

I hope this finds everyone having a wonderful Friday. As you may have heard, a new influenza virus, called the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus, was first identified in the United States in late April 2009. The virus has caused illness ranging from mild to severe, including hospitalizations and deaths in adults and children. Many children have gotten the 2009 H1N1 infection and there have been large outbreaks in some schools across the country. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has recommended that children and young adults aged 6 months through 24 years be vaccinated against 2009 H1N1 as soon as possible. In order to vaccinate our community against the H1N1 the need for the activation of our MRC Volunteers has been directed.

TriCounty Health Department will start additional H1N1 vaccination clinics on Thursday and Friday evening. The start date for these clinics will depend on available vaccine and start dates will be distributed when we are sure we have the vaccine available to hold clinics. The clinics will be held at the TriCounty Health Department building and will run from 5 PM - 8 PM.

MRC volunteers are needed to staff these clinics and provide the support needed to vaccinate our community in a orderly and timely fashion. ALL volunteers will be needed and be able to staff clinical stations during these additional clinics.

This is a critical announcement and we are calling on our MRC volunteers to support, rise up and uphold their comment as a MRC Community Volunteer. Volunteers are needed on Thursdays and Fridays from 5 PM - 8 PM until further notice. Again I will send out an announcement as soon as we know we will have the vaccine available.

MRC Members who will be supporting this cause will have the opportunity to come into the Health Department prior to these clinics to get a H1N1 vaccination. We would wish to have those who are going to volunteer and support the upcoming clinics have the vaccination 7 days prior to the first on site clinic. The H1N1 vaccination is not mandatory.

Please respond by Monday on your availability.

Again this is a time and a community situation which requires our MRC Volunteers to be there in support.


****************************************************************************************


Last week Jake was actually pretty sick. I looked on-line at the symptoms and home treatments for H1N1. He had all the symptoms, but since he never got so sick that I felt like he needed to see a physician we just let it ride itself out. So we don't REALLY know if he had H1N1, but he definitely had some kind of a flu. A lot of people here have been confirmed with H1N1, and a 31 year old man died here last week.


What do you all think? How are you dealing with this? Are you doing things differently?


It is kind of crazy, isn't it?



5 comments:

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

So far for Jim and I we are having the regular flu shot and not sure about the swine flu shot. I had the swine flu in 1969 and it was pretty miserable and I was out of work for 3 weeks. Since I was in my 20's and healthy I shudder to think what it might do to an older person or someone with questionable health.

The vaccine as I understand it has been rushed into production and not many tests have been run on it. I read on Meridian Magazine (an LDS online magazine) a noted physician stating many reasons why he is not recommending it. The one I remember the most is it has not been tested on children. With 10 grandkids that put this Gramma on alert.

So far we are still undecided but I will be getting the regular one within the first few days of next week.

I wish it was a clear cut decision but so far we just have a stupor of thought regarding it. How about you?

Becca said...

I am on the fence too. My gut says no to vaccines for h1n1 but I am not sure. I mean, I have 2 kids and a husband that would more than likely die if they got it due to having asthma/chest complications. So, I really am not sure. Maybe I will just move to a mountain for the winter?

WesnKim-sidebyside said...

We are undecided too, I have RA and Wes has acute asthma. I cannot takle the nasal spray version b/c it is a live vaccine and the RA has my immune system compromised. I have read online that a possible side effect of this vaccine is Guillain-Barre syndrome. We got our seasonal flu shots and are being very careful whom we are around. Heard one is to drink plenty of warm/hot liquids to flush the virus into the stomach where it cannot survive, take vitamin supplements, keep nasal passages flushed with warm saline solution.And of course wash your hands and use the alcohol based sanitizers. Scarey..YES.

Glad Jake is better.

Dorothy said...

I heard that the vaccine wouldn't be available for senior citizens so I hadn't worried about it. Then I heard if you were born BEFORE 1950, then your immune system was in good shape for this.
My Aunt Laura Merrill's husband died during the big flu epidemic in 1917, leaving her with six children to raise. Hopefully in today's world with rapid communication, the word has gone out so people are taking precautions but it is scary!