Wednesday, April 28, 2010

7 Little Words

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
Thank you Michael Pollen.

We've been trying to do this at home.
(vacations? not so much)

Yesterday I was very excited to try a new baked bean recipe.
(I am always looking for a good baked bean recipe...)
So after doing more laundry and cleaning one of the bathrooms
I got to work
rinsing
soaking
rinsing
simmering
then chopping onions.

Two large onions!
(and three garlic cloves)

It was a lot of onion.

I combined all the ingredients and put the pot in the oven
to cook for 2 1/2 hours
stirring every 30 minutes.
And they looked and smelled so good when they were done.
And because we were having sloppy joes
I threw bread ingredients into the bread maker
so that I could make the buns
(I will never buy buns again)
and I boiled eggs and potatoes at some point
and made potato salad
and we had a tasty
made-from-scratch-so-there-were-no-weird-ingredients
dinner.
A dinner that took hours to make.
Like Thanksgiving dinner.

My conclusion?
Creative people don't do all this cooking and house-cleaning
or
People with made-from-scratch meals and pulled together houses
can't possible have time or energy to be creative.
(but they might have housekeepers)
(probably)

I've been thinking about this for awhile now as I try to do both.
My dilemma?
Which do I choose?

Because I can't do both.


*forgive the blurry photos. I have a new lens and I'm still learning how it works.


2 comments:

Gone Gal said...

If I had a wife that asked that question, I'd have serious doubts. I'm not working my A off for her to be creative. I would expect a spic and span clean home, obediant and stellar children tha spoke only when spoken to, AND, most importantly, wholesome and delicious meals. Otherwise, she needs to get a job.

Shaun at Oak Den said...

hahaha! And she'd probably be medicated, too. Remember seeing Stepford Wives in Panama? That was creepy.