Friday, July 18, 2008

Family Reunion Planning Fall-out

So, I'm knee-deep in preparations for our first ever multi-day Bramwell Family reunion, which starts next week. We've rented a cabin in the Timber Lakes area above Heber (www.vrbo.com/180508) and we'll be there for four days! I'm really excited about this, it is going to be a great experience. My family hasn't ALL been together since my Dad's funeral 10 years ago, and we are known for our laughing-good time when we do get together, so this will be fun.

A reunion like this takes some planning, and that has been my main focus now for about a week. And when the Mom is uber-focused there is bound to be some fall-out. Yesterday this happened at dinner time. The first evidence of the fall-out was when dinner time came and went with no dinner on the table and nothing going on in the kitchen. When Doug came home after 8:00 (he has a night clinic on Thursdays) and I saw him I was shocked it was so late! I had no idea!! *uber-focus* Being the great man that he is, he asked, "Should we get Rocky's for dinner?" So he called in an order and I kept working on things. He and Abbie went and picked up the food and I kept working. When they came home I realized the table was covered in certain piles and I didn't want to clear it off, just to need to put things back on!


So remembering "fun Mom" ideas that I've read about, and wanting to be a fun Mom, I declared that we were going to have a picnic--on the living room floor! And so we did.


Who knew that having a picnic on your living room floor could be so much fun? Obviously a fast-thinking mom who had her dining room table covered with a project knew!

So, Nick won the "Glutton Award" with his triple-cheeseburger-with-bacon...


Which he did his best to eat...



...but actually wasn't able to finish. That's good.

And the preparations continue. I have lists and lists (need to do; need to take; need to e-mail out to everyone; need to buy; need to make). I've made my timeline of what I need to do each day. The planning of this is as fun for me as the being there will be.

*sigh* But I still have to think about what to make for dinner tonight...

No comments: