Monday, February 9, 2009

Sunday Night Masterpiece




By the end of a typically busy Sunday (which yesterday included the teaching we do in our meetings, and after church there was home teaching for Doug and Jake, then we went to choir practice, and finally a visiting teaching interview for me) we are all ready to be home, put on our jammies, eat some food and play a game.

Yep. Sunday night game night.

And because he is so great, Doug did all the cooking yesterday and made a 7-Layer Mexican dip for our lunch after church and then he made Popeye eggs and bacon and cream-cheese-stuffed-bacon-wrapped-jalepenos for munching on while we played Masterpeice.  In our jammies.

You remember the art auction game Masterpiece? Many years ago I wanted to buy the game to use in our homeschool as a way to study art (games are always a much more fun way to learn things). That was about the time I learned that the game wasn't going to be made anymore, and they were not to be found anywhere. 

I told this sad tale to my girlfriends one day. One of these friends had been fortunate to get the last game on the shelf at a short-lived educational store here in town. She was lucky. 

Another friend, Nancy, tucked this away in her mind because she knew there was an old game at her parent's home.

And do you know what Nancy gave me for my next birthday?! Yes. She did! It was one of the best and most meaningful birthday gifts I'd ever been given.

And you see, Nancy, we are still using your game from your youth. And we're real careful not to get any cream cheese or bacon on any of the cards. We're taking good care of the game and it continues to be a family favorite on Sunday Night Game Night.

Just for the record: I lost in a big way. I played too cautiously last night.


No comments: