Friday, February 27, 2009

Here Comes The Sun

My dad was an Air Force pilot and so we lived in and traveled to some pretty fun and interesting places. From 1968-70 we lived on the tropical island of Guam. I was in Jr. High School during those years. It was a very fun existence, a really fun time. 

I spent a lot of time in the sun during those two years on Guam. We practically lived at the Officer's Pool, swimming, tanning, ordering a Shirley Temple and fries at the snack bar. Oh, it was a good life. 

While we were there a military girl, Hilary Best, won the title of Miss Guam and went on to compete in the Miss Universe pageant. I would see her at the pool and was very envious of her tan. She. Was. Tan.

So what does an impressionable 13 year old do? Copy. No matter that I was a freckle-face. No matter that I didn't have the kind of skin that would glow golden bronze. 

The going thing back then? Olive oil. Yes. The stuff you brown your meat in. It made sense. Brown meat. I'm meat. I can brown. Brown me!

WHAT WERE WE THINKING??

To her credit, my Mom did say once that she didn't think it was a good idea to use olive oil as sun tan oil.  But this was, after all, long before skin cancer was invented or SPF or any of that kind of thing...

AND! The Beatles had just given us our Anthem.

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, 
and I say it's all right 

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter 
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here 
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun 
and I say it's all right 

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces 
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here 
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun 
and I say it's all right 

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes... 
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes... 
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes... 
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes... 
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes... 

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting 
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear 
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, 
and I say it's all right 
It's all right 


We were blissfully unaware.

After Guam I spent time tanning in the sun of California. Years later in the sun of Panama. Long Island. High altitude Utah.

And in that time skin cancer was invented. And SPF lotions. And now I'm just sort of waiting, and watching my abused skin manifest skin damage. Or worse.

Del Rey beat me to the big one, though. Some months ago he showed me a funny red patch on the side of his face that wasn't going away. We watched it for another month or so, and I finally said he needed to get it checked. Yesterday he had his appointment with the dermatologist and yes, he had himself a bit of pre-skin-cancer going on. The doc burned it off with liquid nitrogen. Yesterday he had a pretty big blister on the side of his face. When I saw it last night it made my knees weak and my throat kind of constrict. 

So this is actually a Public Service Announcement:

Do use sun screen.
Don't use olive oil.
Get your 15 minutes a day of sun for Vitamin D, but don't go overboard.
Watch your skin for "a sore that does not heal" (remember learning that in grade school? Hey, maybe skin cancer WAS invented back then...)
Have the skin doc look at funny things on your body.
Tans are over-rated. Hilary Best probably looks 20 years older nowadays than she really is.

Thank you for your time.


3 comments:

Gone Gal said...

THURSDAY, Feb. 26 (HealthDay News) -- Past studies have suggested that caffeine might offer some protection from skin cancer, and new research may explain why.

"We have found what we believe to be the mechanism by which caffeine is associated with decreased skin cancer," said lead researcher Dr. Paul Nghiem, an associate professor of dermatology at the University of Washington in Seattle.

Gone Gal said...

I love coffee, I love tea
I love the java jive and it loves me
Coffee and tea and the java and me
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup (boy!)

I love java, sweet and hot
Whoops mr. moto, Im a coffee pot
Shoot the pot and Ill pour me a shot
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup

Oh slip me a slug from the wonderful mug
And Ill cut a rug just snug in a jug
A sliced up onion and a raw one
Draw one -
Waiter, waiter, percolator

I love coffee, I love tea
I love the java jive and it loves me
Coffee and tea and the java and me
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup

Boston bean (soy beans)
Green bean (cabbage and greens)
Im not keen about a bean
Unless it is a chili chili bean (boy!)

I love java sweet and hot
Whoops mr. moto Im a coffee pot (yeah)
Shoot me the pot and Ill pour me a shot
A cup, a cup, a cup (yeah)

Slip me a slug of the wonderful mug
an Ill cut a rug just as snug in a jug
Drop a nickel in the pot joe
Takin it slow
Waiter, waiter, percolator

I love coffee, I love tea
I love the java jive and it loves me
Coffee and tea and the java and me
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, boy!

Shaun at Oak Den said...

Kathy, you are crazy-funny!