Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Gotta See It To Believe It


Moab, Utah
What a place.

Doug and the boys have been coming here for years.
They come every May
and ride Slick Rock
and rough it at night.

I was fine with staying in a condo
with showers and a 
king size bed.

On Sunday we took advantage of the grill
and Doug cooked up some chicken

for our Easter dinner.

Someday I might be interested in camping
while we visit Moab.
But I sure was glad to be in a house
when I heard the coyotes howling
during the night!

Here's the thing:
I could show you one picture a day

for the next 239 days

(because that's how many Moab pictures I have--and I haven't even looked through Doug's pictures...)

but I think that might be overkill.

It is all so incredible.

These are real, straight-out-of-the-camera, colors.

The stories are fascinating.
This is Landscape Arch.
It is over a football field in length.
In 1991 a HUGE chunk of it fell off
and some tourists actually had their video camera going
and caught the whole thing on film.
Now, at the thinnest part, it is only 6 feet thick.
They say that if you come to Arches National Park
be sure to hike up to Landscape Arch
because they don't know how much longer
it will be there.
wow.

Saturday morning we drove the Manti-LaSal loop
up through the mountains
where there is still plenty of snow.

How crazy is this to be up in the mountains with snow
and be able to look out over the red rocks?

Abbie convinced us to stop at the Sand Dune Arch
before we left for our 4 hour drive home.
It was an easy walk to the arch
and only supposed to take 15 minutes.
We ended up being there for over an hour.
Shoes off. Toes in the sand.

Absolutely beautiful.
We talked with a photographer
who lives in Yellowstone.
He works as a guide there.
He was blown away with what he was seeing 
at Arches and was planning on spending
10 days there, taking pictures.
That says something, for a
Yellowstonian
to be so amazed at Arches.

One last shot of 
Delicate Arch
with Jake, Abbie and their friends at the base,
keeping their balance so they don't tumble off
either side and into the natural-made amphitheaters below.

Doug and the boys will go back next month
fat tires and water bottles in hand.


1 comment:

happybritton said...

I adore Moab and I am very jealous you were able to go! You've captured all the beautiful sites so well! I felt like I was there.
Thanks for sharing the beauty with us!