I love this old house. Every time I ride past it I think about the original owners and I wonder about them and the life they must have had living in this desolate (at the time) place.
I also see plenty of this. This was a skunk. He doesn't have a smell anymore. Oh, gosh. Speaking of smells. The worst smell is that of a decaying animal (usually a deer) off in the weeds. I never knew this smell until I started riding my bike out on country roads. That is a smell you never know when you're in a car. Be glad for that.
This is something that cracks me up every time I ride past. I don't understand it. I don't know anything about it. If you click on the picture you'll see that there is a bird hatching out of the egg on the right and looking up: Are you my Mama? These are HUGE, too. See the fence on the left? That will give you a frame of reference to the size. Don't you love some people's humor?
If I ever lived out on a farm I would want to have this kind of fence. I love these cross-wood-rail-fences. And I love this tall grass that grows by the side of the road. It just got cut yesterday. It was thicker and fuller and so pretty.
Here is more of that great grass growing on the side of the road. And those beautiful green fields. Just lovely. Why is this such a big deal to me? Well, look past the green fields to the brown hill in the distance. That is what everything would look like if not for irrigation. This is called a high country desert out here. There is so much brown desert-y land that whenever I can fill my eyes with green I savor it.
The mustard weed is growing so thick and just beautiful. I don't know if that is really what it's called. I just call it that because of the mustard-colored flowers.
Today I saw the clouds moving in from the west and thought I'd better not dilly-dally too much. Usually the sky is the cleanest, clearest blue.
But I had to stop and get a picture of the beautiful cheat wheat. This was so pretty. I don't know if that is the real name of this either. But it's what I call it.
And the cluster of cows! I love-love-love riding past cows because they are so funny. The young ones aren't used to a bicycle and get startled and sometimes cause a mini-stampede. That is always entertaining.
And the older ones just stare as I ride past. It is funny to me. "What'dya think yer doin'?" munch-munch-slobber.I was a little disappointed that the two dogs that usually come tearing after me didn't come today. I had my camera ready so I could get their mug shots. I think the owner finally got the message from all my yelling on previous rides. Wouldn't you know that the day I bring my camera the owner has become responsible.
This field is so beautiful and the red rocks in the distance are just cool. That's a fact. Click to see it a little better ifyawanna.
*sigh* Then I'm done with the pastoral part of the ride and I have to do some serious working. I have a L-O-O-O-O-G-S-L-O-O-O-W-H-I-L-L-T-O-C-L-I-M-B. And like many of the hills out here, you think you see the top and so you mentally gear up for that spot up there,
then you get around a curve and see that THE HILL KEEPS GOING! And that, my friends, is the beauty of it. You get to become stronger than you thought you would be.This week's music on my Ipod that is getting me up this hill? U2. It's a beautiful day-la-la-la.
It just keeps going. I still live by the biking philosophy: "You can granny up any hill." (Granny gears are the most easiest gears. You go slow, but you do keep moving.) I evaluate my progress by how long it take before I have to start shifting into those granny gears and how granny I need to get.
There is a most satisfying view from the top. And a most satisfying feeling inside. I always send all sorts of gratitude feelings to my body for being strong and for working hard.After this I have about a five (?) mile ride home and it is down hill for the most part and on a highway and I really fly down that road, so I didn't try to take any pictures. That part of the ride is kind of like dessert because I work hard and go fast and the gentle down-hill slope really helps me fly. Love it! Someone who lives off from the highway saw me once and told me that he saw me "hot-doggin' down the road." Yep.
Yesterday I rode this route with Doug. Doug usually goes much faster that me because he is stronger, but when we ride together he is real good about slowing down a bit. Riding with Doug helps me push myself harder. I felt so good when we finished, even though I was pretty tired. But mentally I was so energized and I coulnd't wait to get on my bike today and do it again.
I love riding my bike.




4 comments:
This is a lovely idea to show us where you ride. I wish I was more athletic you are inspiring me! I just need to get out walking more. That works best for me but I do get busy doing stuff that keeps me from it...I need to not do that!
The countryside where you ride is very pretty. I like that it is just out there and away from the city and people. It is looking like it is quiet and a place to contemplate things. That is what I like about walking and I prefer to do it alone. Thanks for sharing this, Shaun! You are a good example to me.
LOVE it!!! Now if only I could have the work out transferred along with the wonderful views....hmmmmmm
VERY COOL !!! Just got my bike fixed this weekend and will be on the road Monday after a 5 year rehab to a ruptured qud tendon...I can't wait to photo my first planned ride.
you're little cow comment made me laugh out loud!
""What'dya think yer doin'?" munch-munch-slobber"
HAHA! I can just hear you saying it.
I actually laughed out loud a lot during this.
*sigh* thanks for you're enjoyable posts
Post a Comment