In the crazy-busyness of my life right now
the kind of busyness that leaves me tossing and turning at night
because I'm thinking of all the things I need to do and sleep is an annoyance
(and yet I love my bed and can't wait to get back in it when I get out in the morning!),
the kind of busyness that has me making lists
and making lists for my lists,
the kind of busyness that has me thinking
that going to bed at 1:30 AM most nights
(if I go to bed at all)
is normal,
in this kind of busyness we had a semi-family-reunion
at my Mom's house on Friday evening that spilled over to Saturday.
My brother, Chris, flew out from D.C.
and my sister, Kathy, drove up from L.A.
and my brother Mark drove 15 minutes from his house
and we drove our 2-ish hours from our house.
Scott and his family didn't come from the southernmost part of AZ
and we missed them.
My sister, Kathy, spoke about our Dad
and his life and accomplishments and his greatness,
and the new "Pursuit of Excellence" award in his name
the kind of busyness that leaves me tossing and turning at night
because I'm thinking of all the things I need to do and sleep is an annoyance
(and yet I love my bed and can't wait to get back in it when I get out in the morning!),
the kind of busyness that has me making lists
and making lists for my lists,
the kind of busyness that has me thinking
that going to bed at 1:30 AM most nights
(if I go to bed at all)
is normal,
in this kind of busyness we had a semi-family-reunion
at my Mom's house on Friday evening that spilled over to Saturday.
My brother, Chris, flew out from D.C.
and my sister, Kathy, drove up from L.A.
and my brother Mark drove 15 minutes from his house
and we drove our 2-ish hours from our house.
Scott and his family didn't come from the southernmost part of AZ
and we missed them.
My sister, Kathy, spoke about our Dad
and his life and accomplishments and his greatness,
and the new "Pursuit of Excellence" award in his name
Oh my gosh
did-we-laugh.
I wish I had pictures of the laughter
but I was too busy laughing.
In all these pictures we look fairly normal,
as though we are adults in control of life.
But we aren't! Not really!
There is something that happens when we kids get together
(I'm talking about my Mom's kids)
and we start telling stories
or Mark (the Marine-Corps-baby of the family) starts doing something
or who knows what it is,
but we L-A-U-G-H
uncontrollably.
Gut-wrenching
tear-streaming
"I-can't-breathe-I'm-going-to-have-a-heart-attack-I'm-going-to-wet-my-pants"
(sorry)
laughter.
I still chuckle when I think about the laughter.
It is such great fun that I wish everyone could be a part of it.
It feels so good to laugh so hard and so much.
I must have added 15 years to my life this past weekend
from the laughter.
I haven't laughed that hard since our family reunion last summer.
We did have spots of clarity
and in one of those moments we celebrated Chris' birthday
a few days late.
In all my busyness right now
the laughter this weekend was a really good thing.
I have a great family.
I love it when we can get together as adults and have such a good time.
And now I'm home and the lists are waiting
and new lists are being written
and there is still-so-much-to-do
but I'm not kidding you,
EVERY time I think of all that laughing
I chuckle and my heart smiles
and it is all manageable.
the laughter this weekend was a really good thing.
I have a great family.
I love it when we can get together as adults and have such a good time.
And now I'm home and the lists are waiting
and new lists are being written
and there is still-so-much-to-do
but I'm not kidding you,
EVERY time I think of all that laughing
I chuckle and my heart smiles
and it is all manageable.




4 comments:
Shaun, I loved reading this post. It is about putting things in perspective and knowing that life is good in spite of all our pressures and the craziness all around us. Family and goodness is the heart and soul of our good lives and for that I am so grateful.
Love you dear friend, breathe, you will make it to all the items on the lists. I love that you had such a fun time! So awesome! Family, it is all about family when we crawl into that bed at night. May these happy memories let your mind rest and get some decent sleep!
AH! That looks so fun! I laughed along with you!
This made MY heart smile. I'm so glad you can appreciate good laughter as well. Laugter is my favorite thing to do. Sounds like you've got a great family Shauna. I've met your two neices, are they are a delight! Maddison cracks me up everytime I speak with her.
Post a Comment