Tuesday, December 30, 2008

How Much Can You Pack Into A Day?


Monday
December 29,2008
San Diego, California


The title of this post should really be:
"Hey, Shaun, Too Many Pictures"
but it isn't.

And so, let's just get going.

Actually, before we get going on yesterday, I need to say something about how my life has been revolutionized by technology. It isn't too much of a surprise to my family to know that I am sort of entering the world of technology kicking and screaming. I am a paper and pen sort of person. A "let's have a real conversation with our voices face-to-face" sort of person. I do have a cell phone, but I don't carry it with me at all times. I have pretty much used the computer just to e-mail. Starting this blog was a huge step for me to take, and for me to make it public a couple of months ago made me feel a bit naked.

I have now found technology that I embrace with all my heart and with no reservations:

A portable GPS system.

I took the above photo while we were driving at night (as you can see) because I was so enthralled-relieved-grateful to not be reading a map and trying to figure out where we needed to go.

Yesterday we went all over the place and never once, no, not once, did we get lost.
This is the coolest thing. Yeah, yeah, I know. Most of you are thinking "what's the big deal? I have one of those in my car." Well, we don't. So when Doug bought this last month, knowing we'd need it for this trip, I was thinking, "What is it with men and these techno toys? Just get a map".

I had no idea.

I am amazed at what it can do. I am so grateful that we had it on this trip. I am going to stop kicking and screaming about technology.

*******************************

Yesterday was a fun day. Very fun. Very full.

#1. A morning walk on the beach. No Pictures.

#2. Speed racing. This was ridiculously fun. Doug and the boys were maniacs, as was expected.

And Abbie surprised me. I saw a side of my daughter that I didn't know existed. She needed no help from me or anyone else. She was fast. She was competent. She was a speed racer.


#3. La Jolla for lunch

Fred and Sam hanging out at the beach.
(oops, you can see the brick wall. Now you know it is a fake beach)
Insanely HUGE, but vegetarian, burger

#4. Ocean kayaking. THIS was fun. I actually didn't do this, but I had fun on the beach taking pictures. And Nick didn't do it because he is feeling sick (drat) and stayed in the car sleeping.

But those who did it had a blast.

Here they are starting out and getting their kayaking legs

Jake

I walked a fair way down the beach and then climbed on some rocks and used my telephoto lens with the tripod to get these shots. I wasn't always sure if I was getting my family or not. Here they are over by the cove with the sea lions.

While I waited for them to get closer I enjoyed just being. I also took a few "just because" photos.

Looking up the beach to where we started (other red kayaks)

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

So, now they're coming back and getting closer, pausing here and there to look at the Leopard sharks or dolphins


Sam

Jake and Fred

Sam

Doug and Abbie

Jake

Fred

Then Jake discovered how much fun it is to ride the surf in...
...and after that he was done with the observing.
Then Doug and Abbie realized the fun...
...as did Sam
They had a great time, yes, they did.

#5. Belmont Park.

This little amusement park is about 1/2 mile up the beach from our house. It is all very beachy and funky. It is also included in our Go Card. So we went.

Christmas wreath on wooden roller coaster
which we all went on

(I think they are getting tired of me telling them to stand still for a minute...)

#6. The FlowRider at Belmont Park

An hour's worth of fake surfing. It was harder than they thought it would be. And it was HI-LAR-I-OUS to watch!!

The good pictures first:

Abbie

Doug

Fred

Jake

Sam

And now the really good pictures (note: Nobody was hurt in the photo taking of this event. But those of us who were watching sure did laugh a lot!)
Sam

Abbie

Jake

Fred-going down

Doug

It was some kind of a day.

Yes. It was.




No comments: