So, this is being a rather different Christmas for us, and I'm still deciding what I think.
A few months ago Doug and I started talking about Christmas this year and thought that perhaps the family would like to go adventuring instead of getting "cheap plastic toys made in China", as Nick likes to say. We thought San Diego would be a fun (warm) place to take the kids and they were ALL on board with the idea.
We made sure they understood that THIS would be "Christmas", they would get their Santa gift and that would be all. Okay, they said. Sounds great, they said.
So plane tickets were bought. A rental car was reserved. A beach house was decided upon. And no shopping was done.
A very strange feeling. I realized how much I enjoy Christmas shopping. It has been kind of hard to NOT be in the hustle and bustle. And what about all the deals I'm seeing on the news! I haven't been a part of ANY of that. It kind of hurts.
Today we drove down the mountain to go to a family party, which was wonderful fun. (No pictures. duh.) Tonight we are at Gramma's because tomorrow, Christmas Day, we fly to San Diego.
Our tradition, born of my Danish roots on my Mom's side, is to have a smörgåsbord on Christmas Eve with lots of food. Then nobody has to cook on Christmas Day! I have fun childhood memories of our Christmas Eve festivities, helping my Mom get the food ready.
So what did we do tonight, on this night when Sam and Fred had been busy at the mall selling stuff to other people out catching the great deals? And they still had to go pack? And by the time they got to Gramma's it was close to 9:00? And all the good eating places were closed?
This is so funny!
We had BETO'S Mexican 24 hour food for Christmas Eve!
FELIZ NAVIDAD!!!
Well, along the lines of something a bit more in keeping with the holiday...we have been doing a "Secret Santa" thing for a young family that is new to our area. Abbie had the fun task of running to the porch and placing the gift, ringing the door bell, and running for her life!
Last night Abbie biffed it in the snow bank. I think she may have done it on purpose because she knew there was a camera watching her. But I could be wrong...
And just to show the mound of snow who is really the boss, she played "I'm the King of Bunker Hill" for a moment (does anyone know that game?).
So back to tonight...
The stockings are hung...
The cookie and milk are placed just so...
I sang Christmas songs to Abbie while she fell asleep, just to help her remember what this is really all about. And I talked to her about Mary holding her new little baby, and about Jesus and why He came to earth and the gift He gave to us.
We are having a different Christmas this year, and that isn't a bad thing. We get to be together as a family for 8 days and I expect there will be tons of laughter and lots of good times.
And you know all those winter-snow pictures I've posted? I did that because I knew we were heading towards the sand and the sea and I'm going to love the contrast!
Merry Christmas!




2 comments:
Shauna,
I hope you made it to California safe and sound!
We always have Mexican food on Christmas Eve. That is our tradition and I love it! I eat way more on Christmas Eve than on Thanksgiving. And no one is ever hungry on Christmas Day because of all the goodies we have been eating, so Christmas dinner is usually snacking.
Anyway, I really hope you guys have a great time. One of these days I will get around to blogging about our Christmas.
Tell Abbie that Lizzy loves the doll house. It is her favorite present and she has been playing with it all day!
-Jen (signed in as Ed aka Lee)
We did! We are here and it is wonderful!!! Why do I live in snow country???
Post a Comment