Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Fruit Pie of My labor



One of the reasons I love August so very much is because the peaches are ripe!

Peaches! Yipee!

There are so many yummy things to be done with peaches.
There's peach cobbler.
And peach milkshakes.
And peaches and cream.
And bottle the peaches for winter.
And, well, eat a peach
(thanks for reminding us, Duane).

But the best thing?
The best thing is peach pie!


I wait all summer long for August just so I can bake a peach pie.
Or two.
Or more.
yummmmmmmm.

Del Rey has a patient who paid part of his bill with a box of peaches.
You know, I'm fine with that.

This summer has been a little tricky with all that's going on
and I didn't think I'd be getting any peaches,
at least not a box of them.

But the box came to our house amidst all my comings and goings
and those beautiful peaches called to me
as they continued to ripen.
There was nothing for me to do
but add them to my list:
"take care of peaches"

So? I'll tell you:
One baked pie.
Two freezer bags of sliced peaches ready for smoothies.
Many peaches sliced up and snacked on.
Three pies put together and wrapped in multiple layers
of plastic and foil and freezer wrap
and now sitting in the cold darkness of the freezer
waiting for a cold winter day
when we'll bring them out and bake them
and remember that August will come again
with all its sunshiny-peachy goodness.


3 comments:

Jen said...

um, YUM!!!!

Now I think I need some peaches.

-Jen

Bonnie said...

You are so energetic and productive and talented~you must be lds. :-)

So is your hubby Doug or Del Rey? I am confused???

I bet you are counting down the days now for the trip. How exciting! We leave for Italy on Dec 12th. We will spend almost a month with our kids. Cannot wait to see them again!!

happybritton said...

You're crust looks amazing.
What is your secret?