Sunday, September 20, 2009

We Are Home

They say
"Home is where your heart is".
I've left my heart in many places
(yes, including San Francisco...)
and that often makes me wonder
where my true home is.

One of the wonderful things about traveling
is how it expands your heart.
One of the wonderful things about traveling
to a different country
(and something I'd forgotten because it has been so long)
is how one can come back a different person
(if you allow it).

Yesterday as we started our two hour drive home,
from Gramma's house where we stayed the jet-lag-y night,
I was looking at the familiar sights of the canyon
through the car window

...the water falls

...the leaves beginning to change

...the beautiful Utah mountains,

and I thought about the new world
that now lives inside of me-

...the magnificent tower which we saw every day

...the never-ending supply of bread
which I couldn't get enough of

...the places where we ate every night
so full of character and energy

...the walks along amazing places

...the way of living
which for the most part is simple and focused

...the markets which were lively and tempting

...the adventures
(who wouldn't want to ride a bike in France?)

...the flowers
and flowers
and flowers

...the opulence, which was a little hard to comprehend

...the simplicity
(Oak Den in France)

...the castles which never ceased to transport me
to a romanticized version of medieval days

...the cafes which are EVERYWHERE

...the cheese
(and Doug's delirium)

...but mostly the people.
Wonderful, wonderful people.
(I don't know where the "stuck-up French people" thing came from.)

I have fallen in love with France.
I'm taking this whole thing slowly as I process the last two weeks.
But I'll tell you what:
I cannot wait to go back.




4 comments:

happybritton said...

Oh your pictures are wonderful!
I cannot wait to see more, and hear your stories.
(p.s. I love how you say "Gramma". It makes me laugh every single time.)
Glad you're back!

Gone Gal said...

Wonderful recap! I look forward to more! Glad you are ready to move on. You may be geographically challenged where you live, but I think a good start to your new life is to redecorate your living and dining area. You can still keep most of your furniture, but repaint the walls, redo window coverings, replace the sofa and chairs and go for sophisticated old world cozy look. A huge print of an old Paris map would be great. Check out Restoration Hardware's latest catelogue. I thought of you in Paris.

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

Shaun, I am so glad you are back...not that I wanted your sweet dream to end but I truly missed you! I look forward to your posts and comments very much! I am just now catching up with my favorite blog friends as we were away on the weekend for a funeral. And I am the new RS sec't so I have been working like mad to get organized and my binder set up, etc.

I love this post and the photos! Did you go to Versailles? That one picture looks like it...all the opulence! I want to go there so badly. Someday! Everything about this post is great and I am looking forward to all the rest of them very much!

I also love your photos of the canyon as well. Coming home is great and it is beautiful this time of year. I hope it stays nice beyond Thanksgiving when we are coming over! How close do you live to Taipan Trading? I am definitely going there when we come. It will be a madhouse but fun! How did your little Abbie survive without you and vice versa?