Sunday, May 18, 2008

Happy birthday, Jako!


Fifteen years ago today our fourth son was born. Four boys! How wonderful! We were living at Ft. Irwin in the Mojave Desert in California at the time.

After dental school Doug was in a residency with the Army at Ft. Carson in Colorado Springs. We really enjoyed that year in Colorado, it was beautiful, we met some good friends, we were closer to family after four years in Virginia without coming home, Doug was actually earning some money, and we were really enjoying life. Perhaps the Army-powers-that-be thought life was a little too good for us because payback time came.

After the one year residency Doug had to give back to the Army with two years of service as an Army dentist, and we were sent to Ft. Irwin. This is where the Army trains soldiers for desert warfare and troops come from all over the country for training out in the field. If you ever drive to LA from Utah on I-15 you will go through a little town called Barstow and you'll think, "Wow, I'm glad I don't live here." You'll also see a little sign that says "Ft. Irwin" just before an exit, and if you take that exit you'll drive 30 miles into NOTHING. It is called Death Valley for a reason. That's where we lived. We actually lived in Barstow for a few months before we were able to get a house on post and I'm so glad that Jake was born 4 weeks after we moved so that he wasn't born in Barstow!

The boys LOVED living in the desert. It was kid paradise. I was not having the same wonderful time. I was missing Virginia, or even Colorado, too much. This was a hard place to be for such a tree-lover as myself. But, we did take advantage of lots of things while we lived the Army life and we created plenty of fun for ourselves. Plus, I had a sweet new baby boy. They really were good times and looking back on photos reminds me of that.

So here's to you, Jacob, our California kid! You've had lots of adventures in your first 15 years of life and I imagine there will be some great experiences in the next 15! You are my son with the golden heart, you are a good soul with a kind spirit. Here is a little stroll down memory lane...


Happy baby!
Ft. Irwin, May 1994

With Sam, Nick and Fred


Loving the swing!
Summer, 1994


Loving the water!
Summer, 1994


Jake and Sam, the May birthday boys, 1995
Roosevelt, UT

A very funny expression you'd do for us!


My four boys, 1995


Swimming at the pond at the "Get-Away" in Myton
Summer, 1995


Exploring Uintah Canyon
Fall, 1995


I wasn't surprised when you liked horses and being a cowboy. While at Ft. Irwin your brothers took horse riding lessons and every week we'd watch them on the horses. I wondered how deep that would go in to you! Dec. 1995


Third birthday, 1996


I love Joy School, and here you and Patrick Mitchell had some finger-painting fun. Feb. 1996


Here's a big fast-forward to July, 1999 and you are loving having a baby sister!



You had teeth that were very loose for awhile but you wouldn't let us try to get them out! Here you are with the first tooth you lost, and you pulled it out yourself! Sept. 1999


Another fast-forward to last summer when our ward went to Martin's Cove to experience a handcart trek. Abbie and Elizabeth are taking it easy and Fred and James are being cool, and you were a hard-working pioneer boy appreciating what your ancestors went through. July, 2007


Freshman photo
Sept. 2007

Happy Birthday, Jakster-Meister!

1 comment:

Jacques said...

All i have to say is that you could have chosen a lot worse pictures. Good job.