I've been a mother for over 22 years now, which means that for 22 years I've been fixing multiple meals every day. And still, to this day, three of the most stressful words are: "What's for dinner?"
Many years ago, before we had Abbie, I was so tried of hearing complaining night after night after night about what I had fixed for dinner. So for a whole week I cooked the same meal and served it up on the boy's plates each night: a hamburger pattie with cheese melted on the top, no bun; canned green beans; mashed potatoes with a dab of butter melting on the top; a slice of bread. Every night, no kidding. I thought the boys would grow weary of this and happily anticipate my dinners in the future. That didn't exactly happen. They did slow down on the complaining, but it could be they just grew up.I have pleasant memories of dinner time when I was growing up. It seemed like we talked a lot and had some good laughs, and that's what I wanted for my family. The family dinner table is important to me, so much so that we've been known to eat at 9:00 in the evening if that was when everyone could be together. I didn't know how hard it would get when the kids got older and started having so many activities that took them away. Once that time hit dinner time was never the same.
One of the illnesses I have, along with a love of beautiful paper and beautiful fabric, is a love of beautiful dishes and platters and bowls, anything that can help make a regular eating time into an "occasion".
I love to set the table with pretty tablecloths and dishes. Sometimes I'll even plan a meal around certain serving dishes just so we can use them! I bought a very pretty Lazy Susan at Costco awhile ago, black wood with white dishes, and started planning tacos and baked potatoes and Hawaiian Haystack meals so we could use this fun thing. The first meal we had with it created quite the reaction from Jake. He thought it was the coolest invention! It was worth it just for Jake's reaction. I remember having similar feelings when my mom used her Lazy Susan. It seemed to make dinner pretty fun.
This hutch used to be Doug's Aunt Sadie's. She never married and when she passed away years ago Doug's Dad brought this to his house. I always loved this hutch, it was very charming to me. When Doug's Dad passed away we brought this hutch to our home and I still love it. I have some old dishes in it, and some of my new dishes in it and some of my baskets that I made on the top of it. And to any of you Ogden's reading this, you'll be happy to know that "Olive, the other reindeer" still sits happily in the hutch. This is a memory hutch.
Our 'last supper' together before the boys left for DC. (enlarge photo to get a sense of the real goofiness that happens when this family gets together!!)
So, I'll keep struggling with my meal planning and preparing but I'll also have fun serving up the food once it is prepared. The plain truth, however, is that the best meals happen not with my fancy cooking or my pretty dishes but when all of us are gathered around the table talking and laughing and eating the food, even when it is spaghetti.




1 comment:
Shauna,
I do like your hutch and the pictures of your dishes. It makes me think of Suzanna White for some reason. And, all this talk of food makes me HUNGRY.
Post a Comment