Group photo with Doug's phone after one of the climbs: me, McArthur,Deannie, Shannon and Sonia. McArthur struggled with his ego riding with all these older women (by his own admission!)Shannon
Doug taking a shot of me over his shoulder!
Me and McArthur over Doug's shoulder
This was a really hard ride. We had a pretty strong headwind going to Vernal, and then a cross wind that was really blowing us around, and then the wind shifted and we had a huge head wind coming home. That wind was blowing a storm in! Sonia's husband met her in Vernal and Shannon's husband met her in the hills as we were riding back to LaPoint. Deannie stopped in LaPoint at the cemetary to met her family and decorate graves. So in the end it was just Doug, McArthur and I who rode the whole 70 miles, and it was brutal coming home. McArthur bonked on the long stretch from LaPoint, we had to tank him up with gel and crackers. He came pretty unprepared for such a long ride.
So, we did it. I feel pretty confident now for the Little Red. I know I can at least do 80 miles, but I'll try for 100 again.
Our bodies are so amazing. There were a few times when I felt like there was no way I could keep climbing and I needed to walk, and then something inside of me would say,"Just try a little more" and I would and I'd make it. Or when we were pushing against that brutal headwind coming home I wondered how on earth I was going to be able to make and I thought, "Just keep moving. It doesn't have to be fast. Just keep moving" and I'd think of my wonderful handcart pioneer ancestors in the Martin company and I'd just keep moving. We don't give ourselves enough credit, I think, for what we are capable of doing. In this era of fast and easy we have sometimes forgotten how to dig way deep inside ourselves for strength.
Doug has taught me a vital lesson about cycling which I use in life: You can "granny" up any hill. To use the granny gears is to go into the easiest gears you have, so easy a granny can do it! Well, there is no shame in using the granny gears, they get you up the big hills! There have been many times in life when I've been faced with huge challenges and sorrows and the mountain before me seems impossible to climb, and I remind myself, "You can granny up any hill". So I gear up and start climbing. I'm not going fast and it sometimes takes a really long time, but I'm climbing. Once I make it to the top of that emotional mountain I see life with a completely different perspective. I'm never the same person once I reach the top of my mountains-physical or emotional mountains. I'm always so much stronger and I'm always so glad I finished the climb.
I love my bike. I love to be out on the road. I love the stream of consciousness thought I have when I'm riding. I love the life-lessons I'm taught when I'm on the road. I love finishing a really hard ride and feeling that supreme fatigue and knowing that I did it, I finished.
(Please note that even as I write the above, I can hardly move!!)






1 comment:
Congratulatiosn Shauna! Did you ride past my house? I did see a couple of bikers go past yesterday and wondered at the time if it was you and Doug. I didn't see more than two though. Way to go.
Post a Comment