Sunday, October 12, 2008

LOTR

"I can't do this, Sam."

"I know. Its all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. Its like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end...because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing...this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you...that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something."

"What are we holding on to, Sam?"

"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And its worth fighting for."

3 comments:

Gone Gal said...

With our electronic society, it's just easier to find out about all of the bad that goes on. It's always been there. We just see it now. It can't help but be revealed to us. It's harder for the evil leaders to keep things hidden. Technology has increased to allow evil to increase- nukes, development of accounting schemes that wipe our assets out, evil films; but it seems to be balanced by our ability to utilize the internet. For example, it's hard to keep the secret societies (Council of Foreign Relations, et al) to completely act in secret! It takes effort on our part to filter through the mists of deceit that lurk on the net. But we have to do it in order to be informed and thereby act on the information.

Jen said...

Shauna,
I have really been enjoying all your posts. I really love this one. That picture of your kids is so beautiful and so appropriate. That quote sums up LOTR for me and why I love the books and movies so much. Those words touch me so deeply. Thanks for reminding me of them again.
-Jen

How many times can I write the word "so" in one comment? I am in desperate need of a thesaurus- either that or a brain that works.

Anonymous said...

I really liked this post...
The picture is perfect!

I was happy to get those comments from you!!! Thanks!

Yes, I was sick for a while but I'm getting a lot better!

I went to the DR 3 years ago so it has been a while. Sam did tell me they served there. My brother Allen also served in the Santiago mission and it really did change my life going there for 2 weeks.
Have you ever been? Sam would always mention wanting to go.
If only we could go everywhere, right?

I hope everything is going great with you and the family! You guys are all so great and I will always love you to pieces!

Love you Shauna!