So, about that paper thing I have.
I'm not sure when or how it started. Does it have anything to do with my love of books? Maybe it started because my dad was in the Air Force and we moved around a lot and so I wrote a lot of letters in my life and would buy lots of pretty/cool/fun stationary to write these letters on.
I do have fond memories of looking at all the stationary choices at the BX.
When we were in dental school in Virginia I became a full-time-stay-at-home mom. It was a little shocking to me at first. Sometimes it still is.
We were VERY poor. We had two boys, Pres. Benson had already told mothers to go home and I obeyed, so that job with the health department that I was planning on getting didn't happen and we took out student loans (ouch).
This was in 1987. And moms were crafting.
I was a mom, but I had no money, but I also had a need to create in some way but I wasn't sure what or how...since we had no money.
Then I was introduced to a craft that I fell in love with because a) it had to do with paper; b) it wouldn't cost a lot of money; c) I could also "beautify " my home with my creations; d) it was kind of cool because it was an old craft.
Scherenschnitte. The art of German paper cutting.
I still have those scissors. I don't use them, but I still have them. They represent something to me.
One of our favorite traditions while in Virginia was to go to the Autumn fest at Meadow Farm every fall. One year a woman was there doing silhouette cuttings for free and I was stunned at her talent. She sketched the boy's profiles and then sat there with her sharp scissors and snipped away creating these very accurate silhouettes:
I have done a lot of paper cuttings of various things. A favorite cutting was this cornucopia. The funny thing about this is that it is large enough that it won't fit on a regular size of paper. And that's all there was back then. It wasn't until recently that I remembered about it and found it and mounted it on a 12x12 sheet of paper, of which there is PLENTY to choose from now. It now has a place of honor at the front of our Gratitude Book.

Paper crafting.
What's not to love about it?




3 comments:
Very beautiful. Maybe one of your children will pick it up? Sam is on the right, Nick is on the left.
All of this crafting you Mormon Mothers do is a much healthier indulgence than smoking cigars and drinking scotch!
Sam is actually on the left and Nick is on the right.
Yeah, the cigar ashes would fall on our crafts and the scotch might make us see double so we might not craft accurately. Of course, that could make our crafts very interesting.
Oops, yes, that's what I meant to say. I get my right and left mixed up all of the time! I totally really did recognize the cut-outs of your boys!
Post a Comment