Thursday, June 4, 2009

Do You Zoo?


Last Saturday we had a fun day with extended family. Part of that day was spent at the zoo. 

May I pause here to say that I don't much enjoy going to the zoo.

I enjoyed taking my children when they were small.

But I think I have too many memories of being really hot and sweaty.
And the animals stinking.
And my small children getting tired and whiney.

This was before the days of hydration packs and bottled water. Or maybe not. Maybe we just couldn't afford those kinds of things and so we had to use the public water fountains that always had metallic tasting water.

And speaking of pubic water fountains: When I worked in the health department in my previous life I learned from one of the guys in Environmental Health that you should always let the water in a drinking fountain run for 30-45 seconds before you drink from it (if someone hasn't just used it before you) so that all the old water that has just been sitting there can get flushed out, so to speak.

You're welcome.

But back to the zoo. 

We started with a little (really) ride on the train. All 20 of us.

It was kind of disappointing. Being on the train was fun. But other than a few animals you mostly see sheds and the parking lot.

I think the train ride needs to be re-thought.

The (pregnant) elephant show was a little interesting, but mostly sad.

This is my problem with zoos. I think the animals are bored out of their minds and I feel badly for them. So I have a little bit of a hard time looking at the animals who don't really do anything because they are just so dang bored.

However, I was pretty fascinated with the giraffes. 

I could have spent a long time in the giraffe house watching these curious animals.

But they didn't do a whole lot either. They ate.

But this one kind of disturbed me. She just stood at the door looking out for the longest time. The other one fed her boredom. But I think the watching one was depressed. She just stood there. Looking. At nothing.

It made me sad.

But watching my daughter did not make me sad. She was enjoying the day.
And Jake and Kyle were having a great time together.
And Kyle and Kari were goofy enough.
And this was the best sight of all. Six of the cousins enjoying their treats. It was a mini Cousins Camp reunion. These kids had fun together.
So. There you have it. Our Day At The Zoo. 

And I'm good for another 5 years. At least.


1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I agree with you on the situation one finds at zoos. Poor animals! But it is fun to go with little ones and also to just be together with extended family. The cousin connection is very important and I love watching it with our 10 grandkids.

If you ever have a minute check out my Gramma and You blog. It is on my blogroll or you can get there from my profile. It is all about and for my grandkids. They seem to enjoy it and it helps me feel like I am helping them stay connected. Cousins are the next best thing to siblings, aren't they? Looks like your kids had a ball together.