
FOR TODAY, Monday, June 1, 2009...
Outside My Window...beautiful blue sky and singing birds. I never get tired of hearing all the bird songs.
I am thinking...it was really wonderful to be with so many of our family this weekend. I love family gatherings.
From the Learning Room...well, the public school is officially over now, Friday was the last day. Now Jake, Abbie and I can spend time together doing some of the things we didn't have time for. And the great outdoors will be our learning room. And the first lessons: golf clinics every morning this week for Jake and Abbie.
I am thankful for...the relaxing day yesterday at my Mom's house. It was a busy and full weekend, but yesterday was relaxing. I love going to my Mom's and being with her.
From the kitchen...I need to unpack the rest of the Costco food from Saturday's Costco run. Then I will remind Abbie that it is now June and her turn to keep the kitchen clean. She's not going to like that too much but Jake will be pleased to move on to the living and dining rooms!
I am wearing...I will soon be wearing my bike clothes and suncreeen.
I am creating...a lovely mess in the art room.
I am going...to dedicate this week to getting the garden all the way done. Wish me luck.
I am reading...Broken Things to Mend by Jeffrey R. Holland. Elder Holland was president of BYU when I went there and I have always taken his words into my heart. His wife's, also.
I am hoping...my children will always know how wonderful I think they are and that I love them forever. They are great people.
I am hearing...crickets chirping, birds singing, the lawn mower tractors on the golf course. I love living with the windows open.
Around the house...this needs to be an outdoor-work-on-the-yard-week, so I hope the inside of the house can survive on minimal attention.
One of my favorite things...I sit here trying to narrow this down to ONE and that is always tricky. And then I have to work hard to keep "raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens" out of my head. So today I will say that one of my favorite things is a deep, good night's sleep, especially after a busy, busy weekend.
A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: What a week this will be. Golf clinics every morning for Jake and Abbie, massive amounts of yard work for the three of us, need to get the rest of the garden planted, and final training rides for The Little Red Riding Hood for Abbie and me. I've done this ride the last two years and Abbie is going to ride it with me this year. We won't do the 100 mile loop, which I've always done, but the 35 miles we will do will probably feel like 100 miles to my 10 year old girl!
Here is picture thought I am sharing...
Abbie and I have been riding the back roads of our community. It has been hard for her at times, but she's doing it.
Last year on the ride I was pretty sick, I'd been coughing my lungs out for a week, and at the lunch stop, at around 80 miles, I decided I was going to sop. I didn't need to prove anything. I had done 100 miles the year before and I was good with that. And last year the weather was miserable: rain, hail, snow, wind, wind, wind. Doug was again a volunteer, driving his loop and fixing tires or taking riders in who quit, and Abbie was with him this time. So at lunch they met me in Lewiston and when I said I was going to quit Abbie said to me, "Oh Mom, don't quit. You can finish, I know you can do it." And I knew I had to finish, even if I went very slowly (which I did) I had to finish because I was teaching my daughter about not quitting and about pushing through the hard stuff and how to just keep putting one foot in front of the other and to just keep moving, it doesn't matter how slow you go. Just keep moving.
My daughter is learning how to climb hills, even really long, slow hills. And she is learning that she is stronger than she thinks.





No comments:
Post a Comment