In our church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we work. It isn't a Sunday-only kind of religion. Because we don't have a paid ministry it means we regular folk do the work of running things, and the hope is that this work helps us become better people because we're serving others and personally growing in ways we might not otherwise.
It is no secret that I have always LOVEd serving in the Primary, the children's organization. I LOVE it. And the best place? Being the music leader. I've done that more times than I can remember and I think it is the best "job" in the church. I LOVE being with the children. I LOVE singing with them. I LOVE teaching them the Gospel of Jesus Christ through music.
It's also no secret that I haven't really enjoyed the Relief Society, the women's organization. There are a lot of reasons for how I came to have those feelings, but they aren't important right now. Suffice it to say that I was always glad to be serving in the Primary for most of my (almost) 28 years of married life.
Eighteen months ago I was asked to serve as the president of our Relief Society organization in our ward (a "parish" based on geographical boundaries). Basically this means I'm responsible for the well being of about 180 women. I prayerfully determined two other women to be my counselors, and one to be the secretary, to help me with this responsibility.
This is our Relief Society room last Sunday evening just before we had a RS board meeting with the teachers and board members. One of my counselors put this meeting together and took care of every detail so that we could have a meaningful meeting. I really LOVE her ability to pay attention to all the little details.
In the past 18 months I have had such a change of heart. I LOVE serving in the Relief Society. I LOVE being with the women. I LOVE sharing the Gospel and learning the Gospel with them. I LOVE the different activities we are able to do together. I LOVE visiting them in their homes. I LOVE being able to share their burdens. I LOVE being able to show them hope, maybe make them laugh a little when things seem so sad.
I really, really LOVE the women who serve with me in this presidency. I have grown to appreciate their gifts and talents more than they'll know. I LOVE being at this point in my life and feeling like there is still so much I can learn and do, and there are really wonderful women who are teaching me, without even knowing that's what they're doing. I LOVE the feeling of wanting to do better and be better so that I can serve better.
I LOVE the Gospel of Jesus Christ that teaches us to LOVE and to serve. I LOVE the peace in my life when I'm making right choices. I LOVE that we have a LOVE-ing Heavenly Father who wants us to have peace and joy in our hearts, no matter what's going on around us, and who is always watching over us. I LOVE the Savior who atoned for our sins and provided a way for us to return to Him and our Heavenly Father if we'll choose wisely.
I never, ever thought that I would LOVE Relief Society. But, there you have it. I do.




3 comments:
I LOVE Relief Society too. I have been the Mid-week RS Meeting "Committee of one" person for a few months. I need ideas! But guess what? I just got a second calling! Now don't be jealous. Yep, I am the Primary Chorister.
You know I have always agreed with you on the Primary Chorister calling being the plum of the church, and sad to say, it has never been mine. I always did love RS, so I'm glad you have received the gift of that love, too. I'm sure you are doing a Fabulous job there, and would love to be along for the ride. I find I am appreciating my RS Pres right now more than any other, so I have a testimony that people are called to be there at the time they are, for the specific needs of the sisters they will serve during their time (and that is a calling I am grateful to have never had either). p.s. sorry to be such a blog stocker, but find I can't resist having this "conversation" with you. I'm enjoying your "loves," and it's coming at a good time for me to be reminded of the blessings you are expressing gratitude for.
Apart from being Primary Pres, I have served in Primary for about 3 years. This is my 3rd time in the RS Presidency. Love not being Enrichment Counselor this time! :)
Post a Comment